First Time Elk Hunt Colorado

MVRK28

Disclaimer - Not asking for anybody' honey hole.

I am working on planning a trip to Colorado and plan to put in for a unit where the first rifle odds are pretty good without having any points. I have NEVER hunted Elk before but I have been trying to do as much research as I can.

My thought is that at that time of year I can expect the Elk to be in Post Rut mentality. I found a burn from 2013 (see below)

My only concern is proximity to roads, but this specific location has other smaller burns near it as well as some large meadows, creeks and plenty of thick timber.

I would really love some guidance and any help anybody can give me. I am willing to put in the work in order to bring one home (or just to even see one!).

Last edited:
Considering it took me about 4 minutes to find your spot, I would take the picture down unless you want everyone knowing where you're going. Or take down the unit number. Having them both up makes it too easy to find. Just some advice...

Last edited:
Aside from all that it looks like a decent spot besides the proximity to a couple highways. From Google Earth you can tell it's very steep and definitely has some spots to set up a long range ambush. From one of those lookout spots to the center of the burn is about a 500 yard shot; too far for a lot of people especially in windy conditions. Your biggest issue may be shot angle in a location like that. If the elk are in the burn, the closer you get the harder it will be to get a shot window. Overall pretty good habitat for post rut, if they're that high in elevation.

Considering it took me about 4 minutes to find your spot, I would take the picture down unless you want everyone knowing where you're going. Or take down the unit number. Having them both up makes it too easy to find. Just some advice...

Noted, would you mind deleting it as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back