Yeti GOBOX Collection

First time Colorado Elk Hunting - 62 or 521 for 1st rifle season?

I have not hunted the Raggeds at all, 521 is pretty tough if the elk are not talking because it is so thick (at least where we hunt). We have had shot opportunity all but one time hunting there.

521 Get hit pretty hard in the first season it is limited draw but still hit hard. If you aren't already in the draw 1st season for this year it is too late. There are a ton of 4 wheeler trails and 4 wheelers around the unit.
It seems like every unit I research everyone says it's packed full of hunters and you can never get away from the crowds, doesn't seem like there's any spot wilderness or not where you can enjoy any solitude. It's confusing because I just moved out west for college and have come along for some hunting trips with my buddies here. Even on the opening day of second Season we were able to get away from people by walking into the woods and all the people we saw were on atvs or in their trucks. But then when I go on the internet to research all I see is "crowded" I'm new to all this and I hope I can hunt elk in 2022 I'll be hunting an Antelope doe in Wyoming this fall

It seems like every unit I research everyone says it's packed full of hunters and you can never get away from the crowds, doesn't seem like there's any spot wilderness or not where you can enjoy any solitude. It's confusing because I just moved out west for college and have come along for some hunting trips with my buddies here. Even on the opening day of second Season we were able to get away from people by walking into the woods and all the people we saw were on atvs or in their trucks. But then when I go on the internet to research all I see is "crowded" I'm new to all this and I hope I can hunt elk in 2022 I'll be hunting an Antelope doe in Wyoming this fall
Might be a matter of perspective. I grew up rifle hunting in MN and WI. There, the seasons are short and everyone hunted so you just expected to see orange every 50 yards in the woods, but that's about all the further you could see because the woods are so thick. When I started hunting in CO I had several seasons of feeling like I had a whole valley to myself, even with a moderate hike of one or two miles. In the past few years, I have hiked 6+ miles and seen more hunters. But, many places in CO, you can see a long distance, so even if you are a half mile away, you can see there are other people in 'your' valley. Also, there are often only one or two trailheads to access large areas, so when you pull up and see 10 other trucks at the trailhead, it feels crowded.

Might be a matter of perspective. I grew up rifle hunting in MN and WI. There, the seasons are short and everyone hunted so you just expected to see orange every 50 yards in the woods, but that's about all the further you could see because the woods are so thick. When I started hunting in CO I had several seasons of feeling like I had a whole valley to myself, even with a moderate hike of one or two miles. In the past few years, I have hiked 6+ miles and seen more hunters. But, many places in CO, you can see a long distance, so even if you are a half mile away, you can see there are other people in 'your' valley. Also, there are often only one or two trailheads to access large areas, so when you pull up and see 10 other trucks at the trailhead, it feels crowded.
I think people make it sound worse than it is but for some areas they definitely aren't exaggerating. It's frustrating because whenever I research I can only find doom and gloom, in Colorado it's too crowded, in Wyoming there's too many outfitters, in Idaho and montana the wolves ruined everything 😂 I think I might just stay in Wyoming because that's where I'm going to school so it'll be easier for me to hunt there anywhere else for the time being, just need to become a resident first 700 dollars for a non-resident tag is a bit much for a college student.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back