First time butchering questions

Runnin_Chupacabra

So I got my first big game animal, sow boar, the other week and want to make sausage. Had a great time butchering it for my first time but I’m having trouble finding fat to cut it with, I’ve learned butchers and a lot of grocery stores save their fat for their own sausages and burger meats. Any suggestions on places to buy some or ratio of fat/grind meat for sausages and burgers? I’ve heard you could buy bacon to grind it with as well. Curious to everyone’s preferences!

On another note, as someone who is just started out hunting big game, I’ve learned a lot from folks on HT and thank everyone for helping me learn and get started.

I usually just call any local butcher and ask for pork trimmings to mix with it. Never had a problem getting them. Sometimes it takes them a day or two to gather them up for you. Have an idea of how many pounds you want because they'll ask. I've also heard of guys buying a pork shoulder or butt and just mixing that in. Kind of ironic mixing pork with...pork. Ive never killed or butchered a wild hog, I'm guessing there pretty lean? Bacon is good to mix for making hamburgers.

Local butcher shop gave me some fresh pork fat for free to make chorizo a couple a couple years ago
Cool you could get it free. I pay $1/lb for beef suet when I make burger.

I buy smoked pork fat from my local butcher. If I see pork butts on sale I will stock up and freeze it until I’m ready to make sausages. I’ve also bought whole beef brisket when it is on sale. Take the fat cap off and use it for grinding, split and freeze the prepped briskets for my Traeger when I’m feeling the need for BBQ.

I buy smoked pork fat from my local butcher. If I see pork butts on sale I will stock up and freeze it until I’m ready to make sausages. I’ve also bought whole beef brisket when it is on sale. Take the fat cap off and use it for grinding, split and freeze the prepped briskets for my Traeger when I’m feeling the need for BBQ.
That sounds like a good set up

It’s becoming apparent for most things, when I doubt…costco!
Not sure if it’s a regional thing or what but “call your local butcher” was not a thing in Denver, Denver didn’t really have meat processing aside from a couple marginal game processors. Haven’t tried it in Boston. I have been able to do it in rural CO.

My assumption is it depends on where you live, if “your local butcher” is the meat aisle at kroger, just go to Costco and save yourself the struggle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back