Caribou Gear

First time butchering questions

westbranch

I talked to the meat department at Winco (regional grocery store) and they set aside a few lbs of pork back fat a few days later when they were trimming meat and gave me a call when it was ready to pickup. $1/lb. I have also just bought a pork butt and trimmed myself.

wytex

Our local grocery stores sell suet all the time, you just have to ask when they have it.
Check your local fliers for grocery stores and if they have pork on sale, say pork chops , they will have suet left over after trimming.
Our Safeway and Ridley's are good sources for suet. Ridley's will sell it already ground for you to mix with.
Way cheaper than buying pork bellies or shoulders.

Boarmaster

Pork butt at Costco is probably your easiest option.
This. I pay a bit more for boneless as its just easier for my lazy butt to cut up. Bone in for smoking. I usually go about 30%. I really like fatty pork trimmings but they can be hard to find in my parts and pork butts are easy to find. If I have leftover pork butt then I make pork sausage or cut it up and put in other recipes that call for pork.

shannerdrake

Another vote for Costco pork bellies. Much higher fat content than the shoulders and the price points are very close. The belly is sometimes cheaper even.

44hunter45

A little confused by the OP. If by a "sow boar", you mean a female wild hog, what happened to the fat you got when you butchered it? Do you not get enough of it?

I learned from my West Virginian G'ma that you ALWAYS save your pork drippings in the kitchen. I pour them into a mason jar and put it in the freezer. It fills up faster than you would think. When it's about full I do a quick render by liquefying it in the microwave and pouring it through a paper cone coffee filter. You will melt a plastic pour-over cone doing this. This is why I have my own cone, Mrs45 won't let me near her fine ceramic one. This tip won't help when making 15lbs of sausage, put it's always been enough for our baking needs. If you do bacon or pork roast in the oven, make sure you have a deep pan under it, a deep pan is easier to pour off without making a mess. You can filter a pan full of oven drippings right out of the oven and skip the middle collection step.

BTW - I render suet and deer tallow as well. Deer tallow renders so pure you can leave it on the shelf like a bar of soap. I use it to lube cast bullets. Mrs has soap making friends who always want more.

Mrs has a M.Ed and says I'm, "Process Oriented"... like a 3 Y.O. Fair enough.

I talked to the meat department at Winco (regional grocery store) and they set aside a few lbs of pork back fat a few days later when they were trimming meat and gave me a call when it was ready to pickup. $1/lb. I have also just bought a pork butt and trimmed myself.
That sounds like the cheapest bear bait anywhere...

JohnCushman

I also can get trimmings from my local little market. I prefer pork trimmings to bacon.

LuketheDog

Not sure if it’s a regional thing or what but “call your local butcher” was not a thing in Denver, Denver didn’t really have meat processing aside from a couple marginal game processors. Haven’t tried it in Boston. I have been able to do it in rural CO.

My assumption is it depends on where you live, if “your local butcher” is the meat aisle at kroger, just go to Costco and save yourself the struggle.

Tony's Meat Market!

sodak

Most places sell trim. You may have to call around. If nothing else buy a custom whole or half pig and tell them to save all of the fat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikem