Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Solo Backpack Hunt....Advice

There is something special about a solo hunt. A solo backpack hunt is even more so in my mind. It is tough to stay positive and tough to keep at it with no one around though. It also seems to be way more emotionally taxing than any other hunt. I'd bring a book, or download some podcasts to help pass the downtime. Also, be sure you are very comfortable backpacking and make sure all your gear is good to go.

Just get out there and do it buddy.

I've been solo backpacking since high school, I'm a member of a rescue team accredited by the Mountain Rescue Association, I've taken two elk solo, and I'm a WA State Master Hunter.

I still get twitchy and nervous every time the sun goes down. Every dang time. I swear there are bears everywhere.

We're humans, we have irrational fears, and we can get past them and do cool shit. Enjoy! :)

With all the time you spend in your semi, podcasts would be awesome. Download the Spotify app, start at episode 1 on elk talk and hunt talk podcasts and you'll have weeks of entertainment as you drive.
Because with my hearing loss and hearing aids, the radio in the semi sounds like mud.

Talk radio is even worse

When im deer/elk hunting every noise in the dark is a nice 160 class or 6 pt big boy when im bear hunting every noise is a hungry bear even if im at the same spot maybe thats just me lol

I started backpacking in the So Cal mtns when I was 12. 1967. Within a year I was going solo overnight.
Lots of travels with friends ,but the solo trips were the best. That turned into a lifetime of solo hunts and trips to new places.

I’d start small and just plan on doing 2-3 nights.
It takes true professionals like Adam Greentree decades of dedicated outdoorsmanship to be able to complete 30 day treks.
Seriously tho, I’ve only done a handful of backpacking trips and I’m always like
“I’m going in for a week bro”
And then on the morning of day 2 I’m like
“Jesus Christ why am I carrying all these socks and food”
As far as sleeping solo, if it’s what you want to do you’ll do it.
All your friends back in Illinois will think you’re core af.
It’s kinda a thrill.

I've backpacked more by myself than with others, but I know what you mean. Just gotta do it and get accustomed to being alone out there. I don't think there are any shortcuts.

The advice of having a sidearm beside you in the tent can help, but only so much. Hunting is hugely a mental game as it is, but doing it solo in the backcountry compounds that, but not entirely in a bad way. It's just different.

I did my first solo backpack hunt at 16. I would have slept better if my $25 eBay 0 degree bag was good to even 45 degrees, but it wasn’t and a freak late summer rain storm blew in. I didn’t have to worry about the creatures of the night because I was trying to stay warm.

Nights never really bothered me much. But during those initial years I found it was a lot easier to justify cutting the trip short when really there was no reason. Years ago I did a 9 day archery backpacking trip, with one other buddy but we weren’t together the entire time. The first three days I craved a nice hamburger and the thought of home sounded really nice, after three days it just became life and I was never happier or more content. Now it takes me about 2 days and I never want to leave.

I used to kill my deer, bear, or whatever game and try to make haste out. Unless meat spoilage is an issue I always find myself wanting to stay the entire duration and just glass or hunt other game. I sometimes bring my sons Savage Rascal so I can shoot grouse when the other tag(s) are notched. It only weighs 2.5 pounds and is super accurate all things considered.

Many of my buddies are still much less content out alone. If certain friends of mine tell me they are going on a 4 day solo trip, I assume they will be back on the 2nd day.

At this point I’m just as happy to go alone as I am with a friend. It is certainly easy to keep morale higher, especially when game is scarce, when a buddy is around to talk with.

My advice is to fight the urge to leave unless for a real reason. Get past those first couple days. Don’t use your cellphone if there is service or Sat phone unless you truly need it. You’ll have to work up to it and hopefully in a few years you’ll think nothing of it.

i did A LOT of backpacking before i started hunting, not sure i ever did it solo though. i was even a backpacking guide in college. it's still my favorite summer activity.

add hunting into the mix then add going solo....

just being alone is the hardest part IMO. not the physicality of it, not the gear aspect of it, just simply being alone. my determination to keep going over the next hill in pursuit just shrivels up while i'm alone. i've tried a couple solo backpack hunts and they did not go well, not for lack of seeing animals, not for lacking the physical fitness, not for lacking good gear and know how.

i'm still determined to get better at the mental aspect of it though.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back