First Solo Backpack Hunt....Advice

WBouldin

Contemplating my first solo backcountry hunt and looking for advice on that. Never solo backpacked either and am a tad nervous of how I will feel that first night when the sun goes down. Feel like after that first night things will be fine, but any advice on ways to put oneself at ease?

Keep foodstuff out of camp and in a tree if possible.
Always have a weapon with you, even a coyote or
Racoon will wreck your day...
Bring a good book. Or a cell phone.
I worry about other people more than animals.
I hunt solo so I don't have to "babysit" worry about others. ;) 💥

Would be a good idea to get backpacking dialed in first, or it'll be a mess and not fun.
This is the truth.

It sounds majestic and romantic sitting at home in February, but the reality is you need to be very good at backpacking and used to the fact that it usually sucks for backpack hunting to be worthwhile at all.

Last edited:
@WBouldin I see you're from Southern California. There are some terrific places to backpack not far from you. Like the other guys said above, take some backpacking trips prior to your hunt during this spring and summer to get that experience under your belt. You'll start to figure out what you need and what you don't, and you'll have some time to sort out those spooky nighttime feelings.

• Where (general area/state) do you plan on going?
    • Home state of CA?
  • What is your backpacking experience with others?
    • Drive up to Convict Lake and go hike 4-5 miles back into the Sierra's and spend 3-5 days, ALONE, in July.
  • Do you have SAT COMMS?
  • Can you start a fire?
  • Can you carry camp, AND food, AND weapon, AND hopefully a dead critter?
  • Or can you make 2-5 trips back and forth?
  • Also, there is a lot of time to get in your head out there, you better be comfortable with who and what you are...

Another vote for Darn Tough socks. I never thought I would pay $25 for a pair of socks. I just bought 4 more pairs with a $100 Sportsman's Christmas gift card.

Love my SKRE gear. Both wool and synthetic. I mostly wear it in September but it also performed well in November on the Kiabab. I haven't tested it in zero temps, and I never intended to.

Another vote for Darn Tough socks. I never thought I would pay $25 for a pair of socks. I just bought 4 more pairs with a $100 Sportsman's Christmas gift card.

Love my SKRE gear. Both wool and synthetic. I mostly wear it in September but it also performed well in November on the Kiabab. I haven't tested it in zero temps, and I never intended to.
Shit, wrong thread. Sorry

Thank you for the replies, but as a general clarification:

1. I have backpacked many times but always with others. Definitely not an expert but the "first" here is doing it solo
2. Will do scouting trips before the hunt so by the time the hunt rolls around, will hopefully have 1 or two solo "one-nighters" under the belt.

Also, I like backpacking as much as anyone, but if you're fit enough to backpack hunt and haul it all out, you can do some serious mileage on day hunts and just sleep in your vehicle.
This was another thought - sleep in car/tent near trailhead and hoof it each morning. This particular area its about 4 miles and 2500Ft ele gain from trailhead to saddle im looking at.

This was another thought - sleep in car/tent near trailhead and hoof it each morning. This particular area its about 4 miles and 2500Ft ele gain from trailhead to saddle im looking at.
Backpack. That's one hell of a round trip every day. Unless you're in grizz country, 4 legged threats aren't really a problem.

Backpack hunting is super fun with a buddy/ a couple friends... less fun solo, but I still find it enjoyable.

I had done a crap top of backpacking before I did it hunting, but my first solo backpacking was a scouting trip for a hunt... so 🤷‍♂️

It's rough for elk, more manageable for deer, you will bring 10lbs more shit than you need, definitely try to figure that out during the summer before you have an animal down.

I’d truck camp the first night. Nothing worse than packing into an area you think is going to be awesome only to be let down. If it is indeed what you hoped it would be, you can pack in after assessing the best track in/out, water supply, other hunter pressure etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back