First sandhill crane

HowaHunter

Buddy and I shot our first sandhill cranes today in Idaho. We were sharing a field with a lady trying to shoot one with a bow. We let 2 groups fly right over us to give her an opportunity since they landed very close to her. Don't think she connected but we couldn't let the 3rd group fly by. Ended with a double. Great fun with a great friend. Crane is at the taxis and the meat will be picked up shortly. Can't wait to eat crane again.
Accidentally cut my head off. Whoops.

That's cool! You're only allowed one? I'd like to try for one someday, but need to find some closer east.

We can only take 2. Just bought one tag though. Struck out last year so didn't want to cough up the extra 15 bucks for a second tag. Should have but oh well.

My boy and I have first ever sand hill crane tags too this year. We have to wait till the 12th to give it a try..
Congrads
:hump:

Thanks all. We just sat in a spot and waited for passerbys. Few hundred around us in an hour. Was exciting.

I added it to my license here in MN. It was only an additional $3 (plus $7.50 state waterfowl stamp). Figured why not?

Emrah

Awesome! I hate that I missed tagging one in UT while I lived there. We get thousands through this state every fall, but no season... :(

I added it to my license here in MN. It was only an additional $3 (plus $7.50 state waterfowl stamp). Figured why not?

Emrah

And it's one per day, so if you hunt 5 days can you have 5 in possession? How would one prove that when being pulled over and checked?

Sandhill crane season The season for sandhill cranes is Saturday, Sept. 12, to Sunday, Oct. 18, in the northwest goose and sandhill crane zone only. The daily bag limit will be one sandhill crane per day. A $3 sandhill crane permit is required in addition to a small game hunting license.

Congrats. I second the request to post the taxidermist mount.

Well, like a dumbass, I didn't read the regs quite right before buying my tag. I guess only the very northwest corner of the state is open for sandhill crane; I thought it was the whole state. Serves me right for not doing my research! There's no way I'll get a chance to get over there, so I'll eat the whopping $3 tag.

Emrah

1-pointer. BOY was supposed to come with but never picked up a tag. Hopefully next year. Come on out.

Will post pics when i get it back (6-12 months). Cooked up the meat tonight and it was sure delicious.

1-pointer. BOY was supposed to come with but never picked up a tag. Hopefully next year. Come on out.

Will post pics when i get it back (6-12 months). Cooked up the meat tonight and it was sure delicious.
I may have to as they won't let use hunt those noise makers here. Ask BOY about his first crane. It chased him... :D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back