First Rut Hunt 2019

Kiwi

Here in New Zealand its the tail end of the red deer roar. I got out for a day hunt on Friday and had 5 stags roaring, which is pretty good for public land in a high pressure area. Spotted an ok looking stag out in the open and after 15 mins chasing managed to shoot it in the shoulder. From now until June I plan to chase rutting fallow deer, sika deer, tahr and chamois. My favourite time of year!

Last edited:
Nice looking stag, did you extract it whole or butcher on-site?
They do stink at that time of year don't they, when I get home from stalking, my wife will say, 'you shot a red haven't you?', spare bedroom for me!
Good luck with the other hunts

I have 8 days left on the stags, I'm out again later.
Cheers
Richard

Nice looking stag, did you extract it whole or butcher on-site?
They do stink at that time of year don't they, when I get home from stalking, my wife will say, 'you shot a red haven't you?', spare bedroom for me!
Good luck with the other hunts

I have 8 days left on the stags, I'm out again later.
Cheers
Richard
Thanks Richard. I butchered the stag on site, left it hanging in a tree and kept hunting for the rest of the day. I was going to head home but the stags were still roaring all day.
This stag didnt stink too bad but my wife did mentioned she could smell something when she picked me up the road end, including a lot of my sweat haha

That’s awesome! Congrats I’ll bet that’s a lot of fun.

Back