PEAX Equipment

First Mule Deer Hunt

guf54

I have strictly been a whitetail hunter my entire life but lately I have wanted to try new things and get into more western big game hunting. Luckily I live in a state where I have the opportunity to try it and stay within a tight budget while I get my feet wet.

So my brother and I went to Western Nebraska on a public land mule deer bow hunt. We were only able to hunt 2 1/2 days but we still saw quite a few deer and had a great time hiking and glassing the sandhills. We didn't end up with any deer but its not like we didn't have our chances...we each missed a buck on the only stalks we were able to put on. I missed a young 4 point low and my brother missed a wide old 3 point hitting a branch in the brush he was bedded in. Overall it was a great experience and I can't wait to branch out more and hunt different terrain and states.

Attached are some blurry pics I was able to take through my binoculars...next purchase is a phone skope haha.

The largest bucks I saw during the trip, spotted a day before the opener
027.jpg

This was the young 4 point that I eventually stalked and missed
030.jpg

A couple other young bucks spotted during the trip
032.jpg

The only bow kill that weekend
029.jpg

Yeah my brother got all the luck that night. We have been following that deer all summer and he was surprisingly very huntable coming out during daylight hours often. The deer had been feeding on 2 of our alfalfa fields switching between the two often...I chose the wrong one to hunt that evening and my bro ended up getting him.

Nice report on the muleys. That is a ridiculous whitetail. Let me know if you need me to hunt your alfafa ;) I have a week scheduled in Nebraska starting Halloween.

Sounds like a fun hunt. I bet you wish you could have squeezed a few more days in.

Sounds like a fun hunt. I bet you wish you could have squeezed a few more days in.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back