Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Montana spring bear hunt

When you roll into MT go to the nearest sporting goods store and buy bear spray and have it on your hip while you're out hunting, it is a fact of life in all of western MT now. Just be prepared is all I'm saying
Already have the bear spray. I can bring it with me since I'll be driving. Will also have my 45 loaded heavy for bears. Did some penetration tests on a cow head this weekend and was more than happy with the results.

Is there a certain elevation that would be just pointless to hunt above? I'd hate to pick a spot where I like the looks of the terrain but then find there aren't any bears there.
If there is no green forage, you are too high.

You can almost never go wrong with 10x for binos. Personally, I like 12x but in thick timber, it can be overkill. For a spotter, I'd make sure the max zoom is at least 48. Most good ones are somewhere between 20x and 60x, give or take.

As a general rule, the quality of glass is more important than magnification. If you can only afford one right now, get a nice set of binos. They'll last forever and you'll use them more.

With spotters, there are a ton of options but again, quality is more important. A high-quality spotter that only goes to 48x will likely serve you better than a cheap one that goes to 60x. With that said, I've successfully hunted and killed elk in Colorado for 4 years now with a Vortex Diamondback, which is the cheapest spotter they make. If you're western hunting, a cheap spotter is better than no spotter, but if you stick with it you'll ultimately want to upgrade.

You can apply this to any western hunting, really. Same rules for elk, deer, etc. Western hunting can easily become expensive but it doesn't have to. If you have unlimited funds then buy high-quality gear. If you don't, then use what you have and get out there and have fun. You'll learn what you can or can't live without.

What would you guys say the average shot distance is for spot and stalk in Montana?
I'm curious about this too. I gather you can sometimes bump into them grazing on closed logging roads (so, short range), but thinking of the more "classic" shot across a draw or whatever?

Thanks to the OP and everyone who's been responding and sharing info/experience.

I'm curious about this too. I gather you can sometimes bump into them grazing on closed logging roads (so, short range), but thinking of the more "classic" shot across a draw or whatever?

Thanks to the OP and everyone who's been responding and sharing info/experience.
It can range from feet to hundreds of yards. Every scenario is different, the last few bears I've be fortunate enough to take I've literally walked up to 30 40 yards and tagged em with my rifle. Others I've shot from 3 to 400 yards. Now that I am trying to spot and stalk with my bow I haven't been able to close the gap.... go figure.

A word of advice when you find a bear eating, if they are engaged in eating odds are they're not going anywhere, do get to excited and rush situations. They are very engaged when eating sometimes almost oblivious to the world around them. Not saying it happens all the time but more times then not it does. If you find yourself in this situation chances are you have a decent opportunity to move or get a solid setup on a bruin maybe even get on the same hill as them if the landscape allows it.

Its not about how far as it is shot placement. Bust them front shoulders whatever you do.... bears vitals are a little different especially if they are sitting on their ass, they move.

Shooting across canyons or ravines also presents its own challenges because you could potentially get a lot of different winds. So be sure of your shot and the situation you are in. The last thing you want to be doing in winging bears left and right.

What's a good magnification for binos and spotting scope for spring bear hunts?
I don't have too much to offer in the realm of bear hunting (Planning my first trip for bear in Idaho for this Spring). But I recently picked up the Vortex Diamondback HD 16-48x65 spotting scope and it plan on using it for my trip. Its not a huge scope and seems very packable. Also, you wont break the bank buying it. It was my first scope so I went with a cheaper option. I'm taking my 10x binos on my trip.

Bought a new rifle for the trip. Found a new very old stock weatherby vanguard sub moa 300wsm at a gun shop I go to. A local shop had 200 rounds of hornady outfitter (180gmx) ammo so I got all of that. Going to get a vortex 4-16 I believe.

Attachments

• KIMG1626.JPG
    KIMG1626.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • KIMG1627.JPG
    KIMG1627.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • KIMG1629.JPG
    KIMG1629.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I would definitely call the butchers first depending on where you’re going to be. As of right now you can’t even get a cow butchered until next year because of how backed up they are due to covid or geopolitics or who knows. Be prepared to maybe not be able to drive as high up as you probably want to be due to snow.

I would definitely call the butchers first depending on where you’re going to be. As of right now you can’t even get a cow butchered until next year because of how backed up they are due to covid or geopolitics or who knows. Be prepared to maybe not be able to drive as high up as you probably want to be due to snow.
The taxidermist I plan on going through said he'll freeze my meat for the remainder of my stay. Looks like most of my potential areas I'm hunting out of will be 3-4k feet and then hiking up higher from there. Hoping snow won't be an issue but I've got several spot areas picked out just in case. And snowshoes.

I am also interested in spring bear but in the big snowys but I cant start a thread until 10 posts so here's 1.

I like your strategy to keep the east and west coasters out. Respect 👊

Planning my own diy spring bear hunt, looking like unit 106 is going to be my unit based on harvest reports and where I will be staying, looking for any tips on the area and overall day hunting spot stalk success. Thanks!!

I'm interested in spring bear hunting in NW Montana. My son lives in Kalispell. First post for me.

It's been said already, griz range is practically all over the west part of the state, but they're not behind every tree. I've seen only one in about 15 years, but it was a big boss. It ran from me, and I was thankful for that. That said, I just always carry spray when I'm in the mountains. From what I've read it's statistically more likely to deter an attack, but it's not a magic bullet. Speaking of bullets, bears can/have been shot and still inflict I great deal of damage while they're dying. Anyway, every near I've ever seen, black and griz, blessedly ran like hell when they saw or smelled me.

As far as tactics, I tend to see bears where dark brush, green grass in patchy timber, and a water source converge. Grab a vantage point and be mentally prepared to spend a lot of time behind your binoculars. But seriously, in my mind bears are not real easy to pattern or anticipate. You might see them anywhere and at any time of day, or you might not see a thing. I've probably seen most just coming out grazing on the tender green grass in mid to late afternoon. And they can be remarkably elusive - you might be sitting there looking at a clearing, look down to pick your nose or something, look back up and there's a bear that seems to have coalesced out of the ethers. And bears have ADHD. Most don't stop moving long and for no apparent reason might just suddenly jump up and sprint away - I've seen this more than once and figure they probably just got a whif of something they didn't like.

Do not underestimate their sense of smell. I'm of the opinion it's even more keen than a deer or elk, but they really don't seem to see that great. You gotta be down wind when you approach, there's no other way.

If/when you shoot one, pay very close attention to where it ran (assuming it didn't go down within sight). I've watched lots of bears, but the only one I ever shot ran immediately for the thick stuff. It didn't go far with a 165gn Federal TBT through both lungs but it left very minimal sign and hardly any blood. That was because her thick, shaggy spring coat soaked it up like a sponge.

You asked about weather. Man, expect anything. Montana springtime can be highly schizophrenic. I do tend get rained frequently in the spring, but it can go from rain to snow in minutes.

Good luck on your adventure. I hope it goes well. 👍

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back