Caribou Gear Tarp

First Michigan wolf caught, flown to Isle Royale to kick off relocation effort’s second year

The study up to this forced re-introduction was the amazing inbreeding natural selection and reduction of the wolf population, ice bridges that allegedly disappeared due to climate change yet a recent wolf mentioned happened to cross one this year....

SYTES,
I've been particularly interested in the wolves' abilities and in abilities to regulate moose populations. I am surprised at how bad they can be about it and that forest condition, i.e., regulation of moose from below happens at all.

In the for what it's worth column, the Minnesota DNR says that the average pack territory size in Minnesota in 28th 18 was 139 km² or 54 mile² .

How about that?

Very interesting study... MI (edit: oops, MN) varies GREATLY from MT FWP, Diane Boyd...

Regarding MI, Isle Royale;
Taking into account MI DNR also states the following from their website:

In Michigan, the average pack size is expected to be around five members, but may be as small as two members.

I'm not following your train of thought... You mean to ensure integrity of the study of regionally specific wolves, Isle Royale *should maintain roughly one pack of wolves, of approximately 5? Being an area of approx 50 miles?

It just happens the island is, coincidentally, as big as one AVERAGE, mainland territory. An interesting coincidence. The wolves will decide how many they need in their pack and, like the mainland wolves, it will vary a bunch with time and conditions.

From MN:

After applying the territory scaling factors, average estimated territory size for radio-
marked packs during the 2016-17 survey was 139 km2
That's approx 83 miles, right for the following pack size (4.8);
The point estimate for average winter pack size increased 9% from last winter, but the confidence
interval widely overlaps those from the previous 5 surveys. Average winter pack size in 2016-17 was
estimated to be 4.8

They are transplanting far more then the average pack size, trapped on a small island (less they escape), smaller then what's been found regionally supportive and what mother nature deemed set for failure... As proven in the past.

And the wolves will sort it out. I don't know what sizes of packs IR has had in the past, but I know it's been a lot more than 5 and I presume mooses are somewhat populus right now.

Back to Randy and Chance's adventures in BC.

It is a pretty awesome story! Digging it.

This is more a study of inbreeding anyhow... The inevitable problem with an island study. A copy of a copy of a copy.

Hunting moose would be an added revenue boost and good fortune to hunters for food and wow! As said in the movie, Young Guns, "You see the size of those [that] *paddles???" Haha!

Wildlife are not simply revenue. I don't think that's hard to understand. DNR's charge is not simply farming targets for profit.

Does not exempt funding for other wildlife projects either. Humans are part of the eco cycle as well - not excluded. Over population is not a laughing matter. If managed appropriately, as anticipated it *could, it would bring experiences hard found elsewhere. Heck, it's a general North American model of conservation.

Does not exempt funding for other wildlife projects either. Humans are part of the eco cycle as well - not excluded. Over population is not a laughing matter. If managed appropriately, as anticipated it *could, it would bring experiences hard found elsewhere. Heck, it's a general North American model of conservation.

So, now you have me confused (admittedly easy to do). You sound like are not in favor of these wolf re-intros.

And the wolves will sort it out. I don't know what sizes of packs IR has had in the past, but I know it's been a lot more than 5 and I presume mooses are somewhat populus right now.

Back to Randy and Chance's adventures in BC.
One of the main reasons to being more wolves in is because the moose population is destroying the native flora. Moose populations are so high they fear the plant life may not recover. Personally I have no issue with bringing more wolves in. I do think its idiotic to ignore bringing in another super predator(man) to control moose if the situation is so dire.

If the study is to reflect regional statistics, so be it though it's a doomed study for the wolves sake. If the study is on the process of inbreeding, we already have that story.
If the study is on their natural travel to/from the island great!
However, humans want it now, thus force relocate 3-4 x's the avg regional setting of wolf pack per territorial size... Guarantee they have no intent to cull the #'s to keep at a regional study denominator, thus they are creating another 40+ year inbred situation.

5 or 7 will not keep moose in check. Humans would have to keep circulating the wolves out.
It takes 25-30 wolves to keep moose population at a fair level...
Problem is for the wolves to build to 25-30 on a 50 miles area island, inbreeding is the constant to the point the wolves kill themselves off.
The population, once the copy of a copy of a copy of a... became the prevalent factor, the moose boomed yet again as the wolves faded to their own demise.

The wolves are damned for the sake of humans desire to study them...

Humans via hunting, by practical conservation models, are the key to maintaining a quality moose population.

Moose vs wolves.

ISRO_Web_Wolf_Moose_Population_Graph_5.jpg

Last edited:
It's a f-ing shame that this property is not being used for caribou. The wolves don't like it there and it's a perfect location to reintroduce a species we just lost in the lower 48. The idea has even been discussed.

But the feds cam up with a more brilliant plan. Bring in wolves to get rid of those unwanted moose. Gotta love federal solutions to problems like this. Wonder how much this will cost taxpayers.
millions per every wolf no doubt.

@BrentD
I value humans as part of our eco system. /Check.
I value hunters as the leaders of conservation efforts. /Check.

The use of wolves on Isle Royale is an experiment on wolves inbreeding. Plain and simple. The value coupled with the moose population, is a complimentary bonus.

Has to be done somewhere... Might as well sacrifice select wolves for the sake of science and conservation efforts elsewhere.

The paper, which will publish in Science Advances next week, dives into the inbreeding depression within the Isle Royale wolf population caused by homozygosity. That is, when genes carry identical strains of genetic code they are more likely to cause recessive, or uncommon, traits. Inbreeding can lead to deleterious recessive mutations causing spinal deformities and other health problems, which makes an already tough life of being a wolf on a remote island even harder.

Interesting opinion, Brent. Until the next article prompts discussion. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back