Yeti GOBOX Collection

First marathon

nwihunter

I just ran my first marathon today at 50 years old in Chicago today. Not sure what the hell i was thinking when I thought that was a good idea. Now I jump in the truck and make the 20+ hour drive to New Mexico for my 3 elk hunt in the past 3 years. I can barely walk and I’ll be running up and down the mountains for a week. I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Nice job! What was your time? Side Note: just finishing is an accomplishment!
Be careful, running marathons can get addictive! With the title of your thread, there's implications of more to come!

I've ran a couple, and will be in DC in two weekends to run the Marine Corps Marathon. Have three planned for 2020.

Good luck on your hunt! It's going to hurt! Lol!

Congratulations! Short term sounds like not the best planning both with the 20 hour drive and then humping the mountains 2 days after your first marathon.

Long term I really think running really helps us flat landers do some work in the mountains.

Nice job! What was your time? Side Note: just finishing is an accomplishment!
Be careful, running marathons can get addictive! With the title of your thread, there's implications of more to come!

I've ran a couple, and will be in DC in two weekends to run the Marine Corps Marathon. Have three planned for 2020.

Good luck on your hunt! It's going to hurt! Lol!
I finished at 4:20. I trained to finish under 4 but started to develop some knee pain about a month ago so I just decided to take it easy and enjoy the race. The Chicago Marathon is really something to see. There are 1.7 million spectators that line the streets to cheer you on. Really made it a lot of fun. I’ve spent some time in DC vacationing, I bet that would be a great run as well.

I finished at 4:20. I trained to finish under 4 but started to develop some knee pain about a month ago so I just decided to take it easy and enjoy the race. The Chicago Marathon is really something to see. There are 1.7 million spectators that line the streets to cheer you on. Really made it a lot of fun. I’ve spent some time in DC vacationing, I bet that would be a great run as well.
4:20 is a great time! I thought about doing Chicago, mainly because of the crowd and a good flat/fast course.
Keep it up and good luck on your hunt!

Firstly congrats, that is a great time, a superb result.

The Chicago Marathon made the news in the UK,
'Kenya's Brigid Kosgei beat the women's marathon world record by more than a minute Sunday in winning the Chicago Marathon.
Her unofficial time of 2 hours, 14 minutes and 4 seconds beat Paula Radcliffe's record, set at the 2003 London Marathon, by 81 seconds.'
She beat 'our' Paula's long standing record by a long way!

The day before Kipchoge (under perfect conditions, not race conditions) ran the marathon in under 2 hours, amazing.

Good luck on your hunt.

Cheers

Richard

Firstly congrats, that is a great time, a superb result.

The Chicago Marathon made the news in the UK,
'Kenya's Brigid Kosgei beat the women's marathon world record by more than a minute Sunday in winning the Chicago Marathon.
Her unofficial time of 2 hours, 14 minutes and 4 seconds beat Paula Radcliffe's record, set at the 2003 London Marathon, by 81 seconds.'
She beat 'our' Paula's long standing record by a long way!

The day before Kipchoge (under perfect conditions, not race conditions) ran the marathon in under 2 hours, amazing.

Good luck on your hunt.

Cheers

Richard
Yeah I was kinda following all of that. It’s hard to imagine running a single mile in under 5 minutes let alone running 26 straight. It almost doesn’t even seem possible. The weather in Chicago was perfect for the run , a little windy though.

Congratulations! Short term sounds like not the best planning both with the 20 hour drive and then humping the mountains 2 days after your first marathon.

Long term I really think running really helps us flat landers do some work in the mountains.
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I agree with the last statement of your post. Well, actually the entire post. But I've heard some dispute that running helps. I can say with 100% certainty that after getting into distance running, the time that it use to take me to acclimate to the altitude has shortened dramatically, and I have nowhere near the issues as before with packing over mountains and fatigue. Even my elk hunting partner immediately noticed the difference.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I agree with the last statement of your post. Well, actually the entire post. But I've heard some dispute that running helps. I can say with 100% certainty that after getting into distance running, the time that it use to take me to acclimate to the altitude has shortened dramatically, and I have nowhere near the issues as before with packing over mountains and fatigue. Even my elk hunting partner immediately noticed the difference.

I'll agree also. And it doesn't' have to be marathon distances either. I'm old, I ain't going to run a marathon. I have a knee that's been cut once and may need it again. 5-6 miles 3 times per week, working at it, not shuffling along, has really helped me.

I should at, it isn't just great for hunting out west at elevation and steep grades. It is amazing what it does for hunting thick cover for local pheasants as well.

I think being able to recover quickly is possibly the biggest benefit from running regularly. Your body gets it figured out pretty well that you are going to be asking it to do work again pretty soon so it better get ready for it. I think when I was younger I could always tough it out and hump the mountains just as well as the guys that were in better shape the first couple of days but after that it really caught up to me. Now I am physically as ready to go on day 4 or 5 as I was on day 1.

Of course I think you benefit from the cardio quite a bit too. Especially us flatlanders who don't have 1,000' of elevation to climb within a couple hundred miles.

Of course I think you benefit from the cardio quite a bit too. Especially us flatlanders who don't have 1,000' of elevation to climb within a couple hundred miles.
That would be me, I fit into that category, I run just twice a week, but I can't imagine ever training for a Marathon, that's commitment.
Cheers
Richard

I think being able to recover quickly is possibly the biggest benefit from running regularly. Your body gets it figured out pretty well that you are going to be asking it to do work again pretty soon so it better get ready for it. I think when I was younger I could always tough it out and hump the mountains just as well as the guys that were in better shape the first couple of days but after that it really caught up to me. Now I am physically as ready to go on day 4 or 5 as I was on day 1.

I didn’t even start running until I was in my forties. I totally agree on the recovery aspect. I can get my heart rate and breathing elevated extremely high and it seems like once I stop everything drops back to normal very quickly. I never really noticed that before I had built up my cardio.

Congrats! Still one of my bucket list items I'll get around to. What part of NM are you headed to? I can get just about anywhere in the state in about 3-4 hours so if you need help packing meat let me know!

Congrats! I've done a few halves and 19+ miles a couple years ago but never the real deal. Good luck on your hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back