Caribou Gear

First hog hunt today with DKO

JASON LEE

Went on my first hog hunt today with DKO.

Friday night we drove down to a private farm where a buddy of DKO's has a hunting lease.

Woke up at 5:30 am saturday morning, to fresh coffee brewing
biggrin.gif

We had figured the previous evening that I would hunt for an hour out of a tree stand with my bow then I would get down and take the rifle (280) out for a little spot and stalking.

As soon as I got up in the tree stand a big boar came into the feeder just long enough to stop in his tracks and make a 360 degree turn and high tail it out of there.

Then a racoon came and sit down at the feeder and ate for the entire time that I was there.

Only running off once when 8 oscola turkeys came in to eat some of the corn. They were just small Jakes and hens.

After watching that show for a while DKO came back and got me to do some stalking around in the palmetos.

Working our way to another feeder we spooked two hogs that were laying under the feeder waitng for corn to come out.

After that excitement we drove to the back of the lease and got the rifle out for a little stalking down a creek bottom.
After about 5 minutes of sneeking around I saw a hog laying along side a tree.

So I got down on one knee and pulled the gun up and looking thru the scope I saw that my hog was actualy a tree root
biggrin.gif
oops.

After contuing down the creek we came across tons of fresh rooting areas that the hogs had been at hours before we got there. (oh yea a squirrel scared the crap out of me when it jumped out of the tree 2 feet from me).

About five minutes later DKO walking next to me spots a hog feeding about 50 yards in front of us.

The pig was behind a tree so I just caught a little bit of movement.

Then the pig finaly came out and I droped the hammer on the little pig with the old 280 remington, causing massive head injuries and dropping the pig in its tracks.

Here are a few pics from our hunt.
View

I killed the black and tan one, it weighed in at a small but oh so tender 70 lbs.

The other two was shot by a french exchange student that flew into flordia on friday night and came stright to the hunting lease
biggrin.gif

He was a very excited hunting for pigs.
View

Here is the hunting party that was there DKO is on the far left.
Jay (lease owner) is in the middle. Jays son is in the back.
And I am the colts fan on the right.

Now since I have my first one out of the way I belive If I go any more this year it will be bow only......gotta give those little piggys a chance.

------------------
jasonsdeer.gif

WoW !!! Pork chops !!!!!!

Nice to see someone is bringing home the bacon.
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Nice pigs. That spotted one is going to be your best eating pig. I don't know why but they are. Nice little gilt.
The middle one is sure enough piney wood rooter as we call them.
My boys just left to go hog hunting with dogs. They are catching them. Last time they went my oldest boy got the end of his finger bit off. I told him to watch where he stuck his fingers this time.
biggrin.gif

Old dad can't run the woods any more.
BCR

Now I know what you guys look like. Someday hog hunting would be fun. Probably never will get to but its fun hearing the stories adn seein the pics.

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Big thumbs up hoss!!!!! Glad the hunt went fine!!! Leave some hogs for when Moosie makes the Trip over
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

DKO, Glad to see your mug
smile.gif

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Way to go Guys !
Great Pics !

Jason,
It's usually not the squirrels that jump up beside you down here, it's those Big-Ass
SWAMP BUNNIES that you almost step on!

I enjoyed the rundown yall!
JB

the hunt was alot of fun
biggrin.gif
, i wish we could have had a little more time to stand hunt but, we made do with the time we had! when we spotted the hog, Jason says i got a head shot and i asked is it a clean shot ,he said yea, i said TAKE BOOOOM!!!! IT! no hesitation and right in the eye, the .280 performed a little brain salad surgery
biggrin.gif
on mis piggy! I wish he could have gotten a shot at the hog he'd seen earlier that morning, i have him on film and hes a big jet black boar! with pretty nice cutters!! i filmed him and 37 other hogs in one evening two weeks earlier while deer hunting. The numbers of hogs on the property is incredible and the destruction they cause is unbelievable, imagine what 50-75 100lb plus overzellous "roto-tillers" can do to a pasture or a planted field in an evening!!! anyway, there fun to hunt and depending on the hog they can provide some pretty decent table fare!!! The next time were gonna close the gap by about thirty yards and stick one with the bow!!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Jason had every reason to be alarmed when the squirrel jumped from the tree two feet away from him because he was no ordinary squirrel!!!!! i was able to snap a picture when he turned and squared off with us!!!

fee372a9.gif.orig.gif

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

ya know im such a moron, because i had my video camera hanging around my neck the whole entire time and i never even thought to turn it on dahhhh what a dork
frown.gif
would have been pretty cool to, becasue i was right over his shoulder when he shot! oh well, its that hind sight thing again!
biggrin.gif

------------------
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back