Caribou Gear

First hand Covid symptoms

Not original with me, but:

Internet: We're kind of uncertain about this vaccine
Doctors and nurses: We want it so bad we'll take it in the eye

Having said that if you're young and healthy, and don't get around anyone high risk...but that means no folks over 60, no diabetics, no organ transplants on immunosuppressants (how would you know?), no folks who have obesity, heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease...see how this works?

But free country, at least for now, take it or not.

And for the far-out-there crowd, no, it doesn't have a microchip ;)

I read it. I am encouraging you as a medical professional to get it at your first available opportunity, whether you had a wedding to attend, a hot date with your wife, or heaven forbid, a COVID funeral.
How about those of us that have already had COVID? Is the vaccine necessary or even advisable at this point?

How about those of us that have already had COVID? Is the vaccine necessary or even advisable at this point?
If you are curious about whether you personally should get the vaccine, you should contact your primary care doctor.

General guidance from the medical community based on current information

"Getting COVID-19 might offer some natural protection or immunity from reinfection with the virus that causes COVID-19. But it's not clear how long this protection lasts. Because reinfection is possible and COVID-19 can cause severe medical complications, it's recommended that people who have already had COVID-19 get a COVID-19 vaccine. If you’ve had COVID-19, wait until 90 days after your diagnosis to get a COVID-19 vaccine."

I'm still thinking about it myself. I'd prefer to do it after a large number of people have taken it, but I also don't want to pass it on to anyone if I would get it. My wife, a teacher, will have the opportunity in the next few weeks, and I'm due shortly after because I am in the water and wastewater treatment fields. I haven't had the best if luck with the flu vaccines in the past. I've only taken it 3 times and I had fairly serious reactions the first 2 times. I took it this year and didn't even have a sore arm. I know that the covid vaccine is entirely different, but it still doesn't help alleviate my fear that I would be a severe reaction to it noting my flu vaccine past. That reason alone is why I'd prefer to see more people get it before I do.

Given that we are short on doses, and they are now talking about altering the dosages/interval between doses from what was originally developed and studied, I don’t think there’s any reason for folks who are hesitant to run right down and get in line. Plenty of kinks still to work out before we can even approach full vaccination. I’m fine waiting if it means those who really need it get their full doses, on time.

I have a hard time getting my FACTS from someone named bluffgruff on a hunting internet forum. I think I will make up my own mind on the vaccine after I see a larger sample size.
What's in a name?
Would you rather have hashtags? The letters after my name? My CV? A list of publications read?
How's your interpretation of scientific literature?

What's in a name?
Would you rather have hashtags? The letters after my name? My CV? A list of publications read?
How's your interpretation of scientific literature?
Ya a bit snarky on my side I guess. Still not going to get vaccine right away. The whole family has had it and we all had zero to minor symptoms. Time will tell

Been here a while and seen a bunch of threads get locked. Not sure if I've ever seen one get locked that revolves around personal medical decisions, but here's some brainstormed maxims of conduct on how to discuss personal medical decisions on a hunting forum without the thread getting locked.

Don't attack others
Don't tell them what they should do
Keep it personal = meaning explain your reasoning for your own decisions and what your first hand experiences were
Recognize others will have their own reasoning, decisions, and experiences
Publicly judging others about their personal medical decisions via written word on a hunting forum will nearly always fail

I'm a dummy, so with humility, I understand that one can come up with sound and valid syllogisms concluding with an ethical statement about what others should do, but Randy's marriage advice - "Peace or Justice, but not both" - comes to mind. We've got a ways to go with Covid, and this thread could come along and I hope it does. It's been eye opening to read about others experiences.

Don't attack others
Keep it personal = meaning explain your reasoning for your own decisions and what your first hand experiences were
Publicly judging others about their personal medical decisions via written word on a hunting forum will nearly always fail
Excellent advice.

Been here a while and seen a bunch of threads get locked. Not sure if I've ever seen one get locked that revolves around personal medical decisions, but here's some brainstormed maxims of conduct on how to discuss personal medical decisions on a hunting forum without the thread getting locked.

Don't attack others

I'm a dummy, so with humility, I understand that one can come up with sound and valid syllogisms concluding with an ethical statement about what others should do, but Randy's marriage advice - "Peace or Justice, but not both" - comes to mind. We've got a ways to go with Covid, and this thread could come along and I hope it does. It's been eye opening to read about others experiences.
Just to be clear, he says to "Seek peace, not justice" but doesn't say that you can't have both occasionally. I need that little bit of hope thank you very much lol.

Data suggesting reinfection usually occurs with different strains when it does occur and vaccination possibly protecting against multiple strains. Vaccine likely creating longer lasting immunity in some people than infection does.
How much data? To my knowledge there are only a handful of documented people having become ill with covid-19 multiple time, out of many many millions of infections. At 95% effectiveness of the vaccine that would be 5000/1,000,000 who get the vaccine and still become ill from covid-19.

Why are you pushing vaccination on a thread about symptoms?

We're dealing with an outbreak at our church and school (located at the church building) where my wife works and my kids attend. The whole school is shut down and quarantined at least this week and church services are on pause (They were significantly modified before, but online only for now). Prayers are appreciated.

My wife and mom (who also works are the school) are suffering symptoms and we're all getting tested tomorrow. General symptoms from the outbreak include chills, fevers, headaches, body aches, and fatigue. My wife is on day two of symptoms and is current in bed trying to get through the worst of it. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be affecting the lungs of anyone we know at this point.

Back