First Euro Attempt- Sous Vide

I suppose its a daunting task for the first time.
Pre-"everything days" just boiled water over a fire until the meat fell off, stuck a coat hanger with a small bend into the brain cavity and corkscrewed it out. Little knive work, scrapping, and soak it in peroxide.
Yeah, I suppose...caveman days.
But you got it girl.

That’s turning out great. Nice work!

I suppose its a daunting task for the first time.
Pre-"everything days" just boiled water over a fire until the meat fell off, stuck a coat hanger with a small bend into the brain cavity and corkscrewed it out. Little knive work, scrapping, and soak it in peroxide.
Yeah, I suppose...caveman days.
But you got it girl.
Ha! I still do it the cave man way. I lack patience. 🤭 When I have time to do it today, I want to be done with it today.

I have so many little picks and tweezers I’ve accumulated to help with euro’s! Removal of brains and eyes prior to cooking is a huge help to getting better results. Lots of fat and grease in both. The sous vide results people are getting are strongly making me consider buying a new one and relegating my old one to euro duty

Almost cleaned up...I hope
View attachment 163350

were you sous viding with that rubber band around the nose?

if so, i'd like to know how that works out after it's all said and done. i'm thinking about next time in the second round sous vide and peroxide bath just doing that with a zip tie around the nose instead of cinching it on while it dries

were you sous viding with that rubber band around the nose?

if so, i'd like to know how that works out after it's all said and done. i'm thinking about next time in the second round sous vide and peroxide bath just doing that with a zip tie around the nose instead of cinching it on while it dries
I did not, I had the rubber band kind of hold the nose together because I noticed the bones becoming really loose and I kept hitting the nose when cleaning. It was mostly a precaution of me smacking things around 😅
I had the same idea you did while I was messing around with the rubber band and it would be interesting to see what happens. I would just wonder if the zip tie would warp anything but I guess if it's not put on too tight maybe it would work.

Day 1 million of degreasing:
20201212_190545.jpg
Well it feels like I've been degreasing forever but I think that's just me being impatient. I have plans to use cream developer to whiten when I get to that step but in the mean time I've been trying to keep busy so I dont mess with the skull.

This skull has been outside for a couple years. Luckily the bugs got most the tissue off. This little buck had a lot of potential before some predator got it .
IMG_20201211_085903_269.jpg
So far I've been soaking it to get some of the grease out of it. My dad also graciously offered up an elk spike head he has.....that's had the hide cut off and been wrapped in plastic wrap for the last 29 years (its older than I am and is also coincidentally the last bull our family has ever gotten). I'm terrified to unwrap it but hopefully it isnt that bad....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back