First elk hunt

Gila

For this unit. This is the first time elk have ever been hunted in this New Mexico GMU! One hunt for 5 days...12-16 October. This hunt is for either sex, any legal firearm, with only 10 tags given out. I live in this GMU. Actually, I live next to the wilderness area.Trophy mule deer and bear here are numerous. And in addition this is my first elk hunt ever. Many firsts here! Lol 😁

I have always been a rather good deer and Pronghorn hunter, growing up in South Dakota. I am comfortable in the mountains. I have friends nearby that will help me pack out the meat. Trying to cram as much information as possible. The wife gave me a budget to gear up, albeit a meager one. But I will be able to get what I need that I don't already have. I went on my first scouting trip yesterday in the nearby wilderness. It was 92 in the desert but oh so nice under the forest canopy. I hiked to a north facing slope at about 8,000 ft near a spring but no elk sign. Going to be a good berry year though, and the boars do get big there. Going to hike up the other side within a couple of days. Any suggestions are very welcome. I have always been able to find what I was looking for but this elk hunt will be my ultimate challenge. The only info I have on elk is a few reports from hikers. The deer hunters who are lucky enough to get drawn don't talk much.

Welcome to HT. Great first post. Good luck this season.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back