First elk hunt, western WY

Eric.MN

After being unsuccessful in the first choose deer draw my brother and I decided to pick up a left over cow tags in western Wyoming. This was the first time I have ever been elk hunting and it was sure a learning experience. Must give a shout out to a fellow HTer Glenn for help in planing, bouncing ideas and the reassurance we were on the right track. We only given ourselves three and a half days to hunt as we needed to move camps across the state for some deer tags we had as well.

We we're able to spot elk every day we were hunting and even set eyes on a few nice bulls out first morning.
IMG_6332.jpg
Second day we logged the miles, got out early and spotted two different groups of cows a long ways away. After hours of up and down and through some burnt up dead fall we came upon the larger group we spotted earlier of 25 to 30 bedded cows. My brother had a small opening through the mess of timber and made a good shot on a cow.
IMG_6334.jpg
IMG_6333.jpg
We were three miles from the truck so after all the walking we did earlier and having a rear quarter on my back it took us a while to get out that night. Decided to get our rest and come back in the AM for the second half.
IMG_6335.jpg
Even though I didn't punch my cow tag I couldn't be happier with our trip. Such beautiful country, had a great time with my brother and can't wait to go back again.
IMG_6336.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Somehow I added duplicates at the bottom, should probably do this from a desktop and not the ol smart phone.

Very cool! Grats to your brother for connecting on a great meat cow and the two of you for getting it done! Hope your deer hunt goes as well or better! Great pics!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back