Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Elk Hunt Help

irf1983

I am going on my first elk hunt this year in Colorado. Late October at 10,000'. I have a bull tag. My main question is is there any reason to carry calls in this situation which I'm imagining is post rut. Any other advice or tips for a first time hunt would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance!

I don't think a bugle will do much good, but it's good to have a cow call handy for stopping a moving elk.

Good advice from el Unit - carry a cow call. Never hunted that late, have only hunted them in the ML and 1st rifle seasons. It varies year to year, some years they were bugling in October, other years they were silent - even had that in the ML season in CO 2 years ago in September. If you're late - 3rd rifle, those elk are going to be away from the people as they've been getting chased for a couple of weeks and moved out of dodge. Just saw a great show of Randy's where he was hunting late season in CO, and the elk were in a NASTY area. But, he hit the nail on the head - that's where you need to go. Good luck, ask questions here and people will answer you. What part of CO you going?

Yes carry calls mostly cow in estrus. Their are still cows who have not been bred and bulls will be roaming looking for them.

I hunted CO last year around the last week of Oct. I didnt hear a single bugle. I did see 5 bulls in the area I was hunting around. 2 were spikes and the other 3 were over 1000 yards. However like the other guys said I would and did carry a cow call just in case you do need to grab the attention of a bull and get him to stop to give you chance to shoot. Good luck!

I have been in 3rd season and have a second rut hit. It was warmer weather. You would have thought it was September. Bulls losing there minds. Never hurts, try the pack a bull from Rocky Mountain elk calls small compact. Good luck.

Always carry a cow call. It can be used in late season while still hunting.

I use my cow call anytime of the year. It helps when I accidentally make to much noise

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back