PEAX Equipment

First Elk hunt a success! Got it done in NM!

Looks like a story waiting to be told. You never forget your first.

Was planning on going to a spot by myself since I didn’t have anyone able to go with me.

A friend who guides occasionally called me the afternoon before I was gonna set up camp and invited me to hunt with he and his nephew. I had sent him a text earlier in the week asking for a few pointers for a solo hunt and instead he invited me along with him.

I couldn’t believe it! I happily accepted the invitation. I was excited because I knew; regardless of the outcome, that I would learn a lot.

I was up at 2am (only slept 4-5hrs at the most) and headed to our meet up point. We began hiking in just before sunrise. Temps were in the mid 30’s starting out with extremely light winds out of the west. We nitially spotted 6 cows that unfortunately at the time were on private land.

My friend then spotted 4 cows I wanna say 700/800 yds away across a few ridges which were in the Public land area we were hunting. We were able to make our way to about 390 yds away and stopped there because we didn’t have any more substantial cover closer than that (we were going for 350) The cows were laid up so we waited until the first one stood up.

I fired the first shot and missed low and when I got the kill shot, it was just behind the shoulder and dropped. My coworker’s nephew also harvested a cow out of this herd as well.

When we got to the Elk, my friend said “Now the real work begins.” It took us a few hours to dress both Elk and pack them out. It was the most physically challenging hunt I’ve ever been on but, I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it and told my friend that If he ever needed help field dressing an Elk or any animal; whether or not he was guiding, to give me a call and I’d be there

Now, I impatiently wait for next season!

Back