Caribou Gear

First Elk Application Done!

Don't sweat it on your application this year. With zero points, it's unlikely gonna happen in Wyoming for elk. Not to mention the deadline is too close now to allow much true research to find another place to apply.
Call it a practice run. You will get the refund and a point out of it anyway, so it can't hurt to put in and see what happens.
Probably gonna take 2-3 points to get a general tag for a bull .

Look for an area you can draw a bull elk tag in 2-3 years. Now try to find a regional deer tag that over laps that area. Do a deer hunt there and try to scout for elk and learn the terrain.
Then you will know weather it's a place you want to burn your elk points to hunt or not.
Hopefully this works for me as that's my plan from now on in Wyoming.

Don't sweat it on your application this year. With zero points, it's unlikely gonna happen in Wyoming for elk. Not to mention the deadline is too close now to allow much true research to find another place to apply.
Call it a practice run. You will get the refund and a point out of it anyway, so it can't hurt to put in and see what happens.
Probably gonna take 2-3 points to get a general tag for a bull .

Look for an area you can draw a bull elk tag in 2-3 years. Now try to find a regional deer tag that over laps that area. Do a deer hunt there and try to scout for elk and learn the terrain.
Then you will know weather it's a place you want to burn your elk points to hunt or not.
Hopefully this works for me as that's my plan from now on in Wyoming.

Good plan, thanks! Not sure about driving 16 hours each way twice though... ;)

Got my Type 7 tag in. Still hoping for my first successful cow elk hunt before I go after a Type 1 tag.

Well, it's my first time, but I jumped in! Picked a unit that basically guaranteed me a Type 6 elk and put in for 2 Type 6 antelope nearby. I actually suspect I'll get them all. It's 16+ hr drive for me as well, but might just make 2 trips and make an early one a laid back antelope hunt with my niece. Then again, if I get the ok for that, I might have to have her get a tag or 2 of her own in the leftovers (if available) and that way when we set up she gets the easy shots and I take the harder ones.

I'm looking forward to it. But man! What a process digging through all this stuff when you're just used to deer seasons set up like that are E of the plains.

Last edited:
Well, it's my first time, but I jumped in! Picked a unit that basically guaranteed me a Type 6 elk and put in for 2 Type 6 antelope nearby. I actually suspect I'll get them all. It's 16+ hr drive for me as well, but might just make 2 trips and make an early one a laid back antelope hunt with my niece. Then again, if I get the ok for that, I might have to have her get a tag or 2 of her own in the leftovers (if available) and that way when we set up she gets the easy shots and I take the harder ones.

I'm looking forward to it. But man! What a process digging through all this stuff when you're just used to deer seasons set up like that are E of the plains.

Good luck! Probably won't be many leftovers, but you've still got 4 months to get her in on the regular draw for pronghorn.

Just points for me this year. Hoping I’ll have enough points (2 or 3) to get a gen tag in the standard draw when I return to hunt WY elk.

General tag for 1st choice.

I'm banking on getting the preference point, and maybe looking at another state for OTC or leftover. The goal is archery season, but there's a lot of life to happen between now and then. Here we go...

Good luck! Probably won't be many leftovers, but you've still got 4 months to get her in on the regular draw for pronghorn.

I did not think about that. I've been so focused on the Jan 31 date that I just assumed.

So a few questions: 1) When do we usually hear about our elk tags? 2)Is there really 4 more months for Nonresidents on pronghorn?(I'll get onto the regs) 3) You don't think there will be leftover doe tags? I went for a unit that barely hit the tag quota handed out in type 6.

I did not think about that. I've been so focused on the Jan 31 date that I just assumed.

So a few questions: 1) When do we usually hear about our elk tags? 2)Is there really 4 more months for Nonresidents on pronghorn?(I'll get onto the regs) 3) You don't think there will be leftover doe tags? I went for a unit that barely hit the tag quota handed out in type 6.

1) Probably around 3 weeks from now
2)Yes, deadline 5/31
3)There will be some leftovers in difficult access areas, most will be sold out though. Me and a partner put in 7 apps in the leftover draw last year for a doe tag and got one.

I wish I would have paid more attention to the type 6 tags. Unfortunately, goHUNT doesn't include this... I sent them a message asking them about it. They posted something on their site saying they had cow percentages, but I didn't see that for Wyoming. Lesson learned for next year!

General tag for 1st choice.

I'm banking on getting the preference point, and maybe looking at another state for OTC or leftover. The goal is archery season, but there's a lot of life to happen between now and then. Here we go...

Same here!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back