Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Elk Application Done!

SPDSpappy

Just applied for my very first elk tag (wow, that was pricey!). Following Randy's hunt every year recommendation, I applied for WY in an area w/ a good bull:cow ratio, is mostly public, and has a decent harvest percentage. I have a 15% chance w/ 0 points, but I'm happy I'll get most of my money back when I'm not selected the first time out (unlike AZ). Now we'll see what happens & then move on to CO if/when I don't get selected.

Good luck! Sounds like you’ve done the research and hope you draw your tag.

Good luck. I got my Wyoming Type 6 application in, going to wait until closer to the deadline to send them my Type 1 money.

Good luck. I got my Wyoming Type 6 application in, going to wait until closer to the deadline to send them my Type 1 money.

I did the research to find out the billing cycle on my CC and came to that same conclusion.

Thanks everybody!! I only put in for 56 based on Randy's recommendation of putting in for your WY unit, if you don't get the targeted area, go to CO during rifle 2 or 3. I was torn between 56 & 60 because 60 has a much higher success rate. However, after reading how difficult it is to get on 60, I figured I'd better start off with 56, see how it goes as I've never gone on a backpacking trip. I'm a scouter, but I've never done Philmont or anything like it.

Thanks everybody!! I only put in for 56 based on Randy's recommendation of putting in for your WY unit, if you don't get the targeted area, go to CO during rifle 2 or 3. I was torn between 56 & 60 because 60 has a much higher success rate. However, after reading how difficult it is to get on 60, I figured I'd better start off with 56, see how it goes as I've never gone on a backpacking trip. I'm a scouter, but I've never done Philmont or anything like it.

I think your chance of drawing unit 56 with 0 points is significantly less than 15%.

Thats where I got it from too, but just went to the game and fish website and it shows that to be wrong. Went back to go hunt and it has been updated already to show correctly. Those odds were for a general tag that the unit is open for at an earlier date. Might want to see if you can change that application. Good heads up Sherpa!

We looked in to that unit and there is just too much wilderness that I cannot access for me to enjoy. Then my wife tells me something about not liking grizzly's or something like that.

Thats where I got it from too, but just went to the game and fish website and it shows that to be wrong. Went back to go hunt and it has been updated already to show correctly. Those odds were for a general tag that the unit is open for at an earlier date. Might want to see if you can change that application. Good heads up Sherpa!

I'm looking at GoHunt and it says Rifle General 1-21 October is 14% for unit 56. It says archery and rifle limited are 0%. Based on Randy's coverage of the Wyoming draw, I believe the 14% is based on my random odds of the 25% of general tags. Am I reading something wrong?

We looked in to that unit and there is just too much wilderness that I cannot access for me to enjoy. Then my wife tells me something about not liking grizzly's or something like that.

Lol! Yeah, grizzlies are no fun unless you can harvest one. Even then, I'm not so sure I would intentionally get close to one.

56 type 1 was 0% in 2017 in the random draw both in the regular and special price draw. That is for the November 1 through December 7th hunt dates.

The general tag is good for unit 56 from October 1st to the 21st. That was a 14.4% draw in 2017 for the regular price draw.

You need to apply for the General tag if that is what you are planning on doing, NOT the 56-1 tag. You have 0% chance to draw the 56-1 tag.

56 type 1 was 0% in 2017 in the random draw both in the regular and special price draw. That is for the November 1 through December 7th hunt dates.

The general tag is good for unit 56 from October 1st to the 21st. That was a 14.4% draw in 2017 for the regular price draw.

You need to apply for the General tag if that is what you are planning on doing, NOT the 56-1 tag. You have 0% chance to draw the 56-1 tag.

I guess I read that wrong, thanks for clarifying!! I wonder if I can change it online... If not, I'll call tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back