Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Elk Application Done!

Looking back to 2014 there have been the same 10 tags going to the Type 1 license each year. 8 go to the residents, 1 goes to the regular priced draw and goes to the top preference point holders, 1 goes to the special priced draw and goes to the top preference point holders. They would have to really up the tags to allow any to get to the random draw for nonresidents.

Looking back to 2014 there have been the same 10 tags going to the Type 1 license each year. 8 go to the residents, 1 goes to the regular priced draw and goes to the top preference point holders, 1 goes to the special priced draw and goes to the top preference point holders. They would have to really up the tags to allow any to get to the random draw for nonresidents.

That's pretty crazy! I guess one should just keep applying for a general tag until you get enough points to either get a type 1, or know for sure you'll get a general tag?

After reading what you all posted here, reviewing the WY Elk Talk and Hunt Elk Every Year videos again, and reviewing my notes from Randy's Wednesday night discussions, I believe he's saying find the best limited quota draw percentage for the hunt every year plan. Based on this and what I see in GoHunt, it looks like area 48 is my best bet. It's 58% public, has a 350 type 1 quota (I don't understand the 74 applications listed on GoHunt when WY G&F says 350), 67% harvest success, and gives me an 11% chance with my 0 points. What am I missing? I appreciate you all helping me walk through the details on this since it's my first time applying!!

Unfortunately WY's draw odds get very convoluted when trying to dissect the different license types as well as the odds for the draws. Wyoming's draw results are very heavily designed for point holders. The "random" is really just a Hail Mary chance of drawing. Especially when you see that applications for this tag continue to go up every year.

I heard it briefly mentioned, but since I see you're from out of state, make sure your plan considers the amount of Wilderness Area in this zone. Non-residents are not allowed to hunt in the wilderness without a hired guide or a resident guide who is willing to sign and hunt with you during your hunt. Look up Washakie Wilderness when trying to determine the boundaries.

That seems like a decent option without knowing anything about that unit. The 58% public sounds good on paper, but it really depends on how it lays out. If there are big chunks of private land, that is where the elk are going to be when the lead starts flying. Those high harvest success rates very likely could be due to nearly 100% success on private land and very low success on public land.

I don't use GoHunt, but I believe the 74 that you are seeing is the 1st choice applications for the 48-1 Nonresident regular priced draw.

One tip that I will throw out there that I've heard Randy mention before is to look at the resident draw % for the unit. That unit is a 100% draw for residents. To me that says that isn't really a very desirable tag for residents. You would think the the super high harvest % that it would be a very popular tag to apply for but that just makes me think even more that the vast bulk of the elk harvested in that unit must be on private land.

I would do a little more research on the unit if I were you. (of course with an 11% chance of drawing it is not very likely you would draw anyway).

Good luck.

After reading what you all posted here, reviewing the WY Elk Talk and Hunt Elk Every Year videos again, and reviewing my notes from Randy's Wednesday night discussions, I believe he's saying find the best limited quota draw percentage for the hunt every year plan. Based on this and what I see in GoHunt, it looks like area 48 is my best bet. It's 58% public, has a 350 type 1 quota (I don't understand the 74 applications listed on GoHunt when WY G&F says 350), 67% harvest success, and gives me an 11% chance with my 0 points. What am I missing? I appreciate you all helping me walk through the details on this since it's my first time applying!!

You're missing the fact that the biggest percentage of that public land is either not accessible or what is doesn't hold many, if any, elk and the reason for the high success rate is because most of the animals are killed on the private lands in that unit. One ranch alone in 48 covers over 100,000 acres and a good share of the public land within it's boundaries is either landlocked or takes a few miles walking to get into the good parts away from the roads that will hold some elk. I have hunted deer and antelope in that area every year since 1999, so what you see on a map doesn't help if you can't get to it legally or can't get one out because you're so far from a road if you shoot it.

Last edited:
I heard it briefly mentioned, but since I see you're from out of state, make sure your plan considers the amount of Wilderness Area in this zone. Non-residents are not allowed to hunt in the wilderness without a hired guide or a resident guide who is willing to sign and hunt with you during your hunt. Look up Washakie Wilderness when trying to determine the boundaries.

Good to know, thanks! I didn't see anything about hunting in this unit needing a guide in GoHunt like I've seen in some of the other units, so I figured it was ok...

You're missing the fact that the biggest percentage of that public land is either not accessible or what is doesn't hold many, if any, elk and the reason for the high success rate is because most of the animals are killed on the private lands in that unit. One ranch alone in 48 covers over 100,000 acres and a good share of the public land within it's boundaries is either landlocked or takes a few miles walking to get into the good parts away from the roads that will hold some elk. I have hunted deer and antelope in that area every year since 1999, so what you see on a map doesn't help if you can't get to it legally or can't get one out because you're so far from a road if you shoot it.

You have a lot of experience in this unit, thanks for sharing! How does one find out what percentage of animals were harvested on private vs. public land in a unit? You stated you've been hunting there since 99, do you have access to private land there? I'm assuming you do, or you would have quit hunting in this area a long time ago given the access issues you stated. ;)

That seems like a decent option without knowing anything about that unit. The 58% public sounds good on paper, but it really depends on how it lays out. If there are big chunks of private land, that is where the elk are going to be when the lead starts flying. Those high harvest success rates very likely could be due to nearly 100% success on private land and very low success on public land.

I don't use GoHunt, but I believe the 74 that you are seeing is the 1st choice applications for the 48-1 Nonresident regular priced draw.

One tip that I will throw out there that I've heard Randy mention before is to look at the resident draw % for the unit. That unit is a 100% draw for residents. To me that says that isn't really a very desirable tag for residents. You would think the the super high harvest % that it would be a very popular tag to apply for but that just makes me think even more that the vast bulk of the elk harvested in that unit must be on private land.

I would do a little more research on the unit if I were you. (of course with an 11% chance of drawing it is not very likely you would draw anyway).

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard about looking at the resident percentage, but what you said makes perfect sense. Where else do you recommend for reliable research (e.g., Toprut, Hunt Score)?

You have a lot of experience in this unit, thanks for sharing! How does one find out what percentage of animals were harvested on private vs. public land in a unit? You stated you've been hunting there since 99, do you have access to private land there? I'm assuming you do, or you would have quit hunting in this area a long time ago given the access issues you stated. ;)

I have never looked to see if there are any stats as to where the animals are killed in a unit. I hunt BLM and state land 95% of the time for deer and antelope and generally walk at least 1 1/2 to 2 miles each way to most of the spots we hunt. I haven't put in for an elk tag in years and just help my resident buddy and several other resident friends chase elk along with deer and antelope. We have one small ranch that we can hunt if we ask the lady owner that we've known forever, but didn't last year since our one deer honey hole was the best in all the years I've hunted out there and we concentrated strictly on that state land for deer.

Last edited:
I have never looked to see if there are any stats as to where the animals are killed in a unit. I hunt BLM and state land 95% of the time for deer and antelope and generally walk at least 1 1/2 to 2 miles each way to most of the spots we hunt. I haven't put in for an elk tag in years and just help my resident buddy and several other resident friends chase elk along with deer and antelope. We have one small ranch that we can hunt if we ask the lady owner that we've known forever, but didn't last year since our one deer honey hole was the best in all the years I've hunted out there and we concentrated strictly on that state land for deer.

1.5-2 miles isn't too bad (depending on the area of course). I think Randy says they normally put in about 10+. I'm glad you've found a honey hole! I know deer like to return to the same areas year after year.

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard about looking at the resident percentage, but what you said makes perfect sense. Where else do you recommend for reliable research (e.g., Toprut, Hunt Score)?

You can see resident draw odds on GoHunt. Just switch from non-resident to resident and it should show you Unit 48 has 100% odds for 1st choice resident applicants. Its also on Wyoming Game & Fish website.

You can see resident draw odds on GoHunt. Just switch from non-resident to resident and it should show you Unit 48 has 100% odds for 1st choice resident applicants. Its also on Wyoming Game & Fish website.

Thanks! I was asking about other places for research based on npaden's comment of "do a little more research."

Thanks! I was asking about other places for research based on npaden's comment of "do a little more research."

My bad. I thought he was suggesting to do a little more research on Unit 48 by checking resident %'s. Good luck!

Good luck. I got my Wyoming Type 6 application in, going to wait until closer to the deadline to send them my Type 1 money.

I bit the bullet and put my Type 1 app in while ago. Hoping to draw my first bull tag!

I'll be applying in montana if ..... the apps ever come out man they are slow compared to Wyoming

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back