First day in Montana

Hemorrhage

I’m in the Marriott in Great Falls, having a great first trip to Montana. Not a ton of birds the first day, but we did get into some sharpies, huns and ringnecks. It took half the day to find the best areas. We also saw 200-300 antelope, 50+ deer (no bucks!) and lots of other cool stuff.

My nephew did get his first pheasant (standing with my brother):

montana003.jpg

montana004.jpg

montana002.jpg

There were about 200 antelope in this field, but the sunset overshadowed them.

montana006.jpg

Hopefully, we'll find a few more birds tomorrow..............

Nice pics Hemorrange. What is the story about the cross in the second pic? I'm willing to bet that it is interesting.
Quick Draw

Hemorrhage, Cool Pictures. I think you need to Buy your Brother and Nephew some cooler hats ;)

Are those some of the Birds you might mount ? You were talking about a Taxidermist at one time eh ?

Yes, moosie, my plan is to bring a bird or two to Boise in Jan when I come to chukar/quail hunt. I'm going to get this one mounted for my nephew.

About the cross: In the middle of nowhere we came across a little cemetary with one headstone. The headstone said (on the other side):

MARY WOLF 1916-1917.

Then there was some German writing. In this area there are a couple colonies of Hutterities. They are a german relegious group similar to the Amish. So, I image that when they were first here in 1917, some poor Hutterite mother had to bury her 1 year old daughter alone on the Montana praire. Kind of sad. She did get a whole cemetary to herself, though.

see ya

i bet the wind we're having made it hard to even stand up, much less hit a bird on the fly!

good luck to you and your group.

Had another good day in Montana. We got into more huns on Friday and shot um up pretty good. We found about 50 ringnecks near our hunting areas, but they were across the road in posted shelterbelts mocking us. I'm sure we can find 'em next year if we go much earlier.

Here is a good representative Hun:

montana2006.jpg

Overall we had a great scouting trip, killed a few birds, saw lots of big game and know where to start next year.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back