PEAX Equipment

First bird over first dog

I've never hunted over or with a dog but I've been waterfowl hunting for almost 10 years now. Not nearly as much since moving to North Pole, Alaska unfortunately as the birds are mostly gone by the time Moose Season Closes and with 7 mouths* to feed quantity is important.

But this spring we are getting our first pup and we will be training her to retrieve waterfowl, point Ptarmigan and Grouse, and shed hunt. I'm unbelievably excited and nervous!

Last edited:
we were going to get a Griffon - have changed plans but I bet Murphy is fantastic. Congrats!
Upland birds only or going to do waterfowl as well?

Happy Hunting, Happy Friendship and much game in your bag with your partner!
Trained for upland. I live in such prime pheasant country that once it starts, it really is the focus. I duck hunt a few times a year and am careful about which shots to take. Field goose well...I can go pick up my own bird.

Trained for upland. I live in such prime pheasant country that once it starts, it really is the focus. I duck hunt a few times a year and am careful about which shots to take. Field goose well...I can go pick up my own bird.
Nice, sounds fantastic.
I wanted an all around versatile dog and the Griff was one of our top 3 picks. We just found a breeder where i grew up that I want to support for another breed. Keep it up and have fun! I've only had pheasant once and it was fantastic!

Those first birds are special. Mine was a greenhead mallard back in 1965. My first Lab retrieved her first duck a week later. Seems like yesterday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back