First bird dog (GSP)

802flyfish

We just got our first puppy. She currently 12 weeks old. We got her at 8 weeks and she can already sit, stay, retrieve and drop. What else should I be focusing on at this stage? I want to put the time in and make sure she’ll be good in the field. This is my first dog so I’m a little overwhelmed but excited. We’re in Bozeman area and I would love her to meet other dogs or if anyone can recommend a trainer in SW MT.

Attachments

• F16CA0E8-E4AA-4C0E-9464-605960051923.jpeg
    F16CA0E8-E4AA-4C0E-9464-605960051923.jpeg
    969 KB · Views: 51
  • 081C011B-2C8B-41F7-ABDB-0F1274489A81.jpeg
    081C011B-2C8B-41F7-ABDB-0F1274489A81.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 50
  • 10D72DE1-65EE-4080-97FF-8BA4503EF285.jpeg
    10D72DE1-65EE-4080-97FF-8BA4503EF285.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Birds, go find some pigeons to buy.

Make sure to read up on how to properly introduce her to guns and an e collar, if your going to use one. Don't screw those up.

There's a local gun dog club https://www.mhgdc.org/ I didn't ever go to any of their stuff but there is sure to be some knowledge there.

Birds, go find some pigeons to buy.

Make sure to read up on how to properly introduce her to guns and an e collar, if your going to use one. Don't screw those up.

There's a local gun dog club https://www.mhgdc.org/ I didn't ever go to any of their stuff but there is sure to be some knowledge there.

I shot them an email ealirer today. Do you know where to purchase pigeons in the Gallatin Valley? I have yet to find a place that does..

Last edited:
Read Training the Versatile Dog by Charlie Johnson.

Work on recall. I would recommend using marker training. Work on heeling, leash manners, exposure to people, places, sounds, other animals, etc.

Keep her on a leash or a check cord until you have absolutely solid recall.

Don’t introduce an e collar until at least six months of age, and only use it to reinforce KNOWN commands. Start introducing gunfire when you are throwing dummies for her.

Big mistake getting a GSP, now you'll never own anything else again!

I'm not expert by any means but I love my GSP and we have a great working relationship. Thing is most dogs have the drive to hunt and in the GSP instance to point and retrieve. What you need to work on is understanding your dogs individual personality and ques as it develops. It's not so much training them as it is training yourself to read them. But at this stage just keep working the basics, obedience is absolutely key. I'd add to that, any dog can do as it's told at home for a treat, get it out in the bush where there are smells, sights and sounds all around. Developing obedience under field conditions is key in my view.

My bitch is currently pregnant and we're keeping a bitch pup (if there is one) so I'll be back to training pups myself soon enough.

My way isn't the only way but it's worked for me.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride they make one hell of a friend.DSC_0625.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1007.JPG
    DSC_1007.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 23
Great looking pup!
@802flyfish Don't be super concerned on getting the pup onto any birds right away. A good dog will have the inherent drive and desire for birds and whenever the time comes they'll be ready for them. If I were you I would just keep working on continuing the basic obedience training and tons of socialization (humans and other dogs). These are building blocks that set the foundation for a lifetime. I think it's safe to say that no one enjoys a dog that doesn't listen, and about everyone appreciates a well mannered dog. Also, please don't put a wing on a string and make them point it in the living room or backyard. It can promote pointing only on sight of the bird and not using their other senses as well. I know its cute to see your little pup locking up on a wing, but refrain or minimize it.
One of the best pieces of advice I got when I got my pup was to just let them be a pup for about the first year. Every day for them is a new adventure and you can't be too hard on them for being puppies and doing puppy things. They're constantly being exposed to and taking in new things and situations. Some days they're going to care more about pointing sparrows mice and grasshoppers and eating deer poop and chewing on sticks and it's all just fine.
Also, do yourself a favor and listen to some episodes of The Hunting Dog Podcast with Ronny Boehme. He has some great information for new dog owners, and the podcast itself is pretty entertaining. The Q&A episodes with Justin McGrail are very good starting points and cover a lot of topics. Those were in April or May of 2019, I believe. https://thehuntingdogpodcast.com/
Don't worry about making sure she'll be good in the field, because she will be. I didn't get my Griff onto live birds until he was maybe 7 months old and he is an absolute fanatic about birds and has been amazing in his first season. I was concerned about waiting that long but had actually spoken with Ronny about it and he assured me my dog would be fine. He was. I think he had kind of matured at that point and it was like a switch flipped and birds were now top priority when in the field. Have fun!

(edited to add more)

Last edited:
She needs to learn her name and to come when beckoned. My GSP is the best dog Ive ever owned and they bird really naturally. You can start with bird wings soon but teaching them to control their incredible energy is the most important thing at this point.

Join NAVHDA. I did at the suggestion of another Hunt Talk member, and it has helped tremendously. Books are great, but I got overwhelmed with information overload. Rubbing shoulders with really good dog trainers and seeing their dogs work was better for me than any book. Don't worry about birds. Don't give her pheasant wings. Hunting and pointing will come naturally. The most important thing is basic obedience and socialization. Birds are like cocaine to a bird dog, and she'll lose her mind if obedience is not ingrained. Obedience needs to be second nature by the time you put her on birds.

I'd recommend researching force fetch training techniques and then putting her through it around 6-7 months of age. Makes a very large difference in how they perform in the field. Good luck, got a new pup coming late January. Teaming them up with my 3 year old drahthaar.

Thanks for all the help. Can anyone recommend an E- Collar?

My recommendation is don't use one. A) it's just a lazy way around training a dog properly and b) unless you know what you're doing they don't work. My brother tried it on his GWP and all it did was teach him to be obedient while he was wearing the collar (believe me they know).

There is no substitute to just putting the time in. My gsp can be on the hot scent of a deer, duck, quail or whatever and if I do a single note whistle or click my fingers she's straight back to heel.

If I could offer up one thing I've observed it's that people see good dogs working and think I want that. They get one and underestimate the committment so look for shortcuts. I'd reiterate there's no substitute for putting in the time. Some folks will disagree and that's fine but my bitch is proof that putting in the work to get a well trained dog that knows you're the boss and wants to please you is all that's required, not a dog that's simply scared of getting hit with electricity.

If you're set on it I don't expect to change your mind but thought I'd add my two cents.

I have a sportdog that's still going strong, but I really wish I had one with a GPS on it as my dog has scared the crap out of me running off while I'm not paying attention then I have no idea where she is.

I have a Garmin Alpha TT. I love it. The GPS function is incredibly handy. I rarely use the e-collar function during a hunt, but it's always nice to have it available. I have a Sport Dog e-collar I use for training. Used correctly, an e-collar is not different than any other form of pressure. Anyone that has every done the force fetch training used pressure, whether it was a toe pinch, ear pinch, whatever. It's pressure and release is all it is. An e-collar is also pressure and release.

An e-collar doesn't make a shitty trainer better, they give a good trainer another tool.

Edit: I think proper marker training as a foundation is a great way to segue into e-collar training. Now, you have the positive reinforcement foundation and can overlay it with the pressure from the collar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been talking with a guy in Circle Montana that specializes in training bird dogs with "HUNTSMITH Silent Command System". From my understanding he learned/worked with one of his sons. Hopefully I can get a spot this spring in his class. In the mean time, I've ordered this book ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789336790/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I've been looking at the Alpha TT but it looks pretty pricey. I do like the GPS feature.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been looking at the Alpha TT but it looks pretty pricey. I do like the GPS feature.

Buy once, cry once. I've had mine for going on seven years now. Replaced the batteries once.

I will say this though, I'd get a separate training collar and a dedicated GPS collar if that's the route you go. The training functionality of the Garmin sucks for true training work. I far prefer the Sport Dog for that.

Back