First Archery Mule Deer

sprig86

I drew my first ever archery mule deer tag in the Arizona Kaibab. As a complete green horn to Mule Deer hunting I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer any tips for hunting in this region of the state? From what I am reading it sounds like this is going to be like my elk hunting where I need to backpack in to get away from the roads/crowds, and glass, glass, glass. Am I leaning in the right direction or have I watched too many mountain deer hunts on TV, and the Kaibab is going to be nothing like anything else? Also any recommendations for the best maps of 12A/12B?

Welcome to the Kaibab....a truly magical place to bowhunt mule deer! I've bowhunted that plateau for well over 30 years before it went to a draw......now just waiting for the numbers to rebound before I use some points. I scouted it last year in some areas I've arrowed some good bucks over the years and was encouraged by what I saw. Maybe I'll return next year???

I wrote an entire thread on what to look for, etc., while bowhunting the Bab'. Unfortunately, it was on an Arizona site and I won't post here on Randy's site out of respect for him. I can PM you the link if you'd like?

Back