MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Archery Elk Ideas (Colorado)

AggieHunter

I am planning to do an archery elk hunt this year in Colorado and wanted to know if anyone had advice for getting started. I have 2 elk points and would like to start building points for the future so I am leaning more towards the OTC option or possibly second choice tags. Anyone have experience with the archery OTC either sex or OTC cow only hunts especially in the way of hunting pressure?

this has been my experience. it can be way over crowded one day and no one but you the next day. If you find elk or fresh elk sign stick with it. crowding can be over come if you can fight off the mental game of being around so many people

Get in a little then get off the human trails and find you some game trails and follow them. Just try not to get too much into any bedding areas if possible as you don't want to run them off.

1. HT Search function is your friend:
  2. New to Colorado
    Planning my first trip to Colorado for elk hunting. Plan is to go to gmu 65 for archery season. Any suggestions or tips
    • Bigokie
    • Thread
    • Dec 3, 2019
    • Replies: 1
    • Forum: Elk
  3. JElk camp
    I’m in the process of planning my first elk hunt in Colorado during archery season. I planing on hiking back in a little ways and camping. I was thinking about buying the twin peak awning tent and was curious if anyone has had experience with one?
    • Jc2020
    • Thread
    • Feb 19, 2020
    • Replies: 1
    • Forum: Elk

4. [IMG alt="backcountry_sassn"]https://www.hunttalk.com/data/avatars/s/30/30737.jpg?1566493137[/IMG] Colorado OTC Archery Elk
    I’m putting together my hunting plans for the next few years and want to hunt Colorado for elk as a backup plan if I don’t draw and elk tag. I’ve been doing some research and looking at hunting 421 or 521. I’ve never hunted anything in Colorado and have only been to the state once when I was...
  5. [IMG alt="BuglinDrew"]https://www.hunttalk.com/data/avatars/s/43/43113.jpg?1579479052[/IMG] 2018 Archery Elk Hunt (video)
    New to the forum this year, so this is a little dated. In 2018, I was working in a fly shop in northern Colorado where the shop manager and several employees were die-hard bowhunters. I had the good fortune of being able to hunt in the morning on my 11-7 shifts, and afternoons on my 7-3 shifts...
  6. Mcolorado diy archery elk
    I'm headed to colorado the 2nd half of september for archery elk. ive been the last 2 years, moving to a different part of the state this year. i have 2 units and locations within the units picked out to focus. the units are 65 and 74. hoping someone who has some familiarity with these units may...
  7. [IMG alt="Fishtalkeroutdoors"]https://www.hunttalk.com/data/avatars/s/41/41946.jpg?1566876271[/IMG] Archery Elk Colorado GMU 7,8,9,19 and 191
    Archery Hunting Elk areas 7,8,9,19 and 191 been scouting all month at Tree Line Cameron Pass, Sheep Pass , Bull Mountain haven't seen any Elk not looking for a monster cow our bull will work. Anyone seeing elk in these areas?

Etc...

Archery season gets a lot of pressure. It runs concurrently with mule deer, bear, rifle bear, muzzleloader seasons. With that being said though, I have never had a problem getting away from other hunters. Get away from the roads and most people disappear.

Thanks, elkduds for the thread links. Watching that guys Wyoming hunt is exactly why I want to begin my archery adventure. I also plan to hunt Montana and Wyoming for elk soon but think I should try my hand at OTC in colorado before paying those nonresident fees.

You might bump into some people, but chasing elk with a bow is worth it. Plenty of OTC options, and even some extra options with your 2 pts. See attached.

Attachments

• ArcheryOTC.png
    ArcheryOTC.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 31
  • ArcheryDraw.png
    ArcheryDraw.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 31
Maybe find a second choice draw tag for archery. Havent looked at the odds for the archery draw, but I imagine there's a doable unit available 2nd choice. Dont forget to take into account how many deer and muzzle tags they issue so you can get a feel for how much pressure there may be.

If you find them moving in a crowded area try to set up and let hunting pressure work in your favor. That can be done if you think about the situation and where they are probably headed.

Its been over 45 years since I lived in Colorado and shot an elk with an arrow so I'm not much help on the current hunting pressure situation. BUT, I do have one piece of sound advise and that is to get your animal quartered and off the ground as soon as possible. DON'T be like many of the TV experts that shoot an animal and say "let him sit overnight, and we'll find him in the morning." The hair on an elk is a very good insulator, and especially if the animal is not gutted and opened up, the body will retain it's body heat and combined with the warmer temperatures of the early archery season, the meat, and especially the meat next to the ground, will sour and spoil very quickly.

Maybe find a second choice draw tag for archery. Havent looked at the odds for the archery draw, but I imagine there's a doable unit available 2nd choice. Dont forget to take into account how many deer and muzzle tags they issue so you can get a feel for how much pressure there may be.

I might look into that. They only benefit to the OTC is that I can hunt near me after school and then pick one week to travel and either set up a camp or backpack hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back