Colorado OTC Archery Elk

backcountry_sassn

I’m putting together my hunting plans for the next few years and want to hunt Colorado for elk as a backup plan if I don’t draw and elk tag. I’ve been doing some research and looking at hunting 421 or 521. I’ve never hunted anything in Colorado and have only been to the state once when I was younger. I decided on those areas from the research I was able to do online. Just curious what your thoughts are on those units or if you have any other suggestions?

What are the goals for your hunt? Bull or cow? Avoid the crowds? Solo or group? ATV/UTV, pack animals, or hike in? Are you a self-guided hunter? Public hunt or pay to hunt private? Back pack hunting or truck camp? What kind of terrain and elevation are you wanting to or willing to hunt?

What are the goals for your hunt? Bull or cow? Avoid the crowds? Solo or group? ATV/UTV, pack animals, or hike in? Are you a self-guided hunter? Public hunt or pay to hunt private? Back pack hunting or truck camp? What kind of terrain and elevation are you wanting to or willing to hunt?

I’m not a picky hunter. I hunt to hunt. Cow or bull. Of course a cow would be towards the end of the week, and bulls at the beginning. But then again, a great opportunity won’t be passed. I’m not worried about score on bulls. Just like to hunt. I like to avoid crowds as much as possible. My hunt would be most likely solo with a chance of my dad coming. We both love to pack into the back country and do it all the time to steep country isn’t an issue. I’m not much of a road guy so I won’t be bringing an ATV. Public land DIY.

You may have better luck searching and direct messaging folks who have hunted these areas.

I went to a BHA meeting recently and heard the stats in CO can be pretty poor since it is voluntary reporting that they use.

Ultimately, if they both look good to you, pick one and start to learn the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burger hunter
Back