Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First Archery Elk Hunt Coming Up

king1886ranch

Alright guys, as far as elk are concerned I’ve always been a rifle hunter and a long-range rifle hunter at that. I was given a unit wide Archery Only Either Sex land owner tag in Unit 7 of New Mexico yesterday. I do bow hunt whitetail but it’s always from a tree stand in Texas. I‘ve killed two elk (1st rifle season) in this unit already so I know the unit fairly well but I’m still intimidated about Archery Elk Hunting!

I know working thermals is big but there isn’t a ton of elevation change in unit 7 so I don’t know if it’s as big of a deal. Anybody have any calling tips in lower elevation (high desert) type hunts? I’m decent at cow calling and bugling as far as making sounds goes just not sure on sequences. I’ll also be solo on this hunt if that affects calling style. Any other tips would be much appreciated.

Practice shooting longer ranges. Many shots on Elk are 50+ yds since you aren't in a tree stand.

Well none of our shots have been 50 yds + but I guess that's just for Wyoming elk.
Cow calling would probably be best but a bugles to locate might just work great.
Use those trees for cover , set up in front of one to call.
I bet you'll have a blast, good luck !

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve been shooting out to 70 yards and staying inside 6” at 70. I’d still rather kill one well inside 50 yards though.

I know working thermals is big but there isn’t a ton of elevation change in unit 7 so I don’t know if it’s as big of a deal.
I have never been to the unit, but thermals still matter in the Missouri Breaks and the elevation changes are very minor (couple hundred feet maybe). As long as there are hills you get thermals, just on a smaller scale. It can make the hunting much harder and drive you crazy. Good luck.!

I have never been to the unit, but thermals still matter in the Missouri Breaks and the elevation changes are very minor (couple hundred feet maybe). As long as there are hills you get thermals, just on a smaller scale. It can make the hunting much harder and drive you crazy. Good luck.!
Man thanks for the info! I leave on Monday, getting super excited and the weather looks fantastic!!

Never pass on a bull the first day that you would beg for on the last day.. 1st archer bull elk hunt enjoy it!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back