Caribou Gear

First Antelope

OzzyDave

While on my Montana adventure, I managed one at 40 yards from a ground blind. I’d been sitting in the blind listening to the light rain that turned to sleet. All the activity was way over the other side of the field. I had a ball just watching these things go about their activity. I started even giving them names, like limpey, frisky, stupid etc. It looked sort of like “hey he’s looking at me, Quit looking at me, OK I’m coming over to sort you out”. Run, run, run and run some more, legs going a hundred mile an hour. The big guy had his girls bedded up maybe 400 yards from me. The animal I took walked over towards the big guy and it all happened real quick. The chase was on for a couple hundred yards. My antelope wandered over towards the blind. He came to 40 yards and got real nervous. Just as I released he took a half step, hitting him just back from where i was aiming. He ran maybe 100 yards and lay down to never get up again. I was back at the ranch well before the rest of the crew and had it 99% caped out before they all got back. Could not get the smell off my hands for days - very unique for sure.

Attachments

• 842DD59F-985A-4359-89BA-8CF73FA1D20C.jpeg
    842DD59F-985A-4359-89BA-8CF73FA1D20C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Nice trophy! Are you getting your elk and pronghorn mounted in MT or back in Oz?

Having capes tanned in MT and have them mounted up here in Oz. Easier than trying to bring a green salted skin back through our customs. The skull caps and antlers were no problem.

503332b0-4740-4094-8e84-25eb64ee189c-jpeg.117024

Here is my pronghorn mount if you want to see a form, which I reckon is a good one. Sorry, can’t make the photo straight!

Attachments

• 503332B0-4740-4094-8E84-25EB64EE189C.jpeg
    503332B0-4740-4094-8E84-25EB64EE189C.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 179
Congrats on filling the tag half way around the world. And doing it with your bow is a huge bonus, not easy!

Well done Dave, to travel all that way and have success, archery as well, awesome.

But I never knew the Antelope smelt!
@Kiwi is it like the odour of a rutting stinky red deer?
Takes ages to wash that smell off!

Cheers

Richard

I don’t remember them smelling bad, but definitely not like a roaring stag anyway. I actually had mine whole in the back of my rental car so glad it didn’t smell too bad haha

PS sorry for the thread highjack!

Last edited:
I don’t remember them smelling bad, but definitely not like a roaring stag anyway. I actually had mine whole in the back of my rental car so glad it didn’t smell too bad haha

PS sorry for the thread highjack!
That would make an interesting conversation with the car rental company :cool:

Never thought they smelled that bad. I have killed about a dozen and never found them objectionable... and not near as stinky as a rutting whitetail.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back