First Antelope Hunt - WY - Veterans

BenJ-Alabama

Hello All,

Myself and 3 other Veterans are going to try our luck at Antelope hunting in Wyoming this fall. Looking to hunt in Areas 2 - 7, no specific preference, as it look like we will need access to some Private in those hunt areas. We live Alabama, Virginia and South Carolina, so no chance at a scouting trip. I know hunting spots are closehold, but wondering if someone could drop us a few hints, please.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to identify and contact amenable land owners in those areas?

I have contacted the Game Wardens and they had some suggestions, but does not look like they will pan out. They advised that public land in those areas, are pressured hard and that the Antelope end up on the private. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Stay safe, and stay healthy,

ben

Hi Ben,
Were you looking to archery hunt for antelope like you were the deer? I ask because you’d likely have any of those units all to yourself during archery. Also, I think some folks around here have had success in nine as well. Check the tag allocations too, as some of the units in that area have cuts proposed. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Hey NEWhunter,
We are going to go for Antelope with Rifle. Timeframe, first week of October works for us. If we draw, we will be there for the opener with everyone else, but that is the best we can do.
Just hoping to find a landowner that will let some Combat Veterans and a Wounded Warrior on for a few days, to harvest some Bucks. Maybe a long shot but got to try. Willing to pay a little, but we are not in a financial situation to pay outfitter type fees.

Think we are going to scrap the plan to hunt in SD for Archers, as only one of use can shoot a bow at this point (and not very well), and the other 3 have said they prefer not to learn to bow hunt between now and October, ha ha ha.
Think we are gonna put in for 6 or 7, just hope we get a tag.

Ben

Last edited:
Since you mentioned Wounded Warriors I am assuming that all of you were combat vets with Purple Hearts. If that is the case you should state that clearly and probably more doors will be open for you.

WY has permits available that enable more opportunities for folks with disabilities. I would look in to those. I took my Dad as a disabled hunter to a different 0 point unit last year. You might find some helpful info in that thread. I got a lot of useful info from the folks around here for our hunt.

Last edited:
I hope someone with access in Wyoming will talk to a rancher got you guys. Thank you all for your service and sacrifice. Sorry no strings to pull in Nevada for you but if you guys wanna put in for Nevada and draw I’ll take you all. Gear, food, lodging I’ll put you all up and process the meat. Good luck

Since you mentioned Wounded Warriors I am assuming that all of you were combat vets with Purple Hearts. If that is the case you should state that clearly and probably more doors will be open for you.

Sorry, to be clear, I am the only Wounded Warrior (with a purple heart), the other 3 are Combat Veterans. I re-read my post and it was not specifically clear, sorry about that. Edited the original post.

Yes, hope it will at least hope get a dialogue started with some land owners.

Thanks for your reply

BenJ - I sent you a PM, I don't have any private land to hunt but am willing to share some locations and hunting spots for fellow veterans.

When you mention the PH and the CIB's I would bet that you will find a place to hunt. When I got out many years ago it was best not to mention a CIB but thankfully the U.S. is a better place now for vets. Good hunting.

When you mention the PH and the CIB's I would bet that you will find a place to hunt. When I got out many years ago it was best not to mention a CIB but thankfully the U.S. is a better place now for vets. Good hunting.
When did you get out?
Yeah, from what have seen, my generation, the Afghanistan and Iraq Generation of Military has been treated much nicer than the previous wars. One of my first hunting buddies was a Vietnam vet, and he said it was completely different from when he got out.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Stay safe, and stay healthy.

Ben

If any of you are 50% or more at the VA look into:

Dan has a lot of avenues that he can help you with. Be honest and tell him what kind of experience you are after with your friends. You will be surprised what he can do. He even runs a antelope camp, though likely full by now. You won’t regret the phone call.

Last edited:
If any of you are 50% or more at the VA look into:

Dan has a lot of avenues that he can help you with. Be honest and tell him what kind of experience you are after with your friends. You will be surprised what he can do. He even runs a antelope camp, though likely full by now. You won’t regret the phone call.

As a disabled retiree (non combat) it's wonderful to see what our country is doing for its combat veterans. Thanks for posting this.

As a disabled retiree (non combat) it's wonderful to see what our country is doing for its combat veterans. Thanks for posting this.

The good thing about Wyoming’s program is it is solely based off from you disability rating. They don’t care what it is, how you got it, or have a combat related clause. So at 50% you can get a donated license and go hunt. Keep a eye out after the licenses are issued, they will have a running list on the Game and Fish website. Call Dan with your letter/application ready and he will sponsor you to try and get it.

Later this year some forum members are holding a HT Veterans General Elk hunt. If all goes well this year we may expand it to next year. Keep a eye out for follow up on it this fall and possible sigh up in Jan.

When did you get out?
Yeah, from what have seen, my generation, the Afghanistan and Iraq Generation of Military has been treated much nicer than the previous wars. One of my first hunting buddies was a Vietnam vet, and he said it was completely different from when he got out.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Stay safe, and stay healthy.

Ben

CIB in 1971. Ancient history, and thankfully the public's treatment of vets and their attitude have improved.

Last edited:
The good thing about Wyoming’s program is it is solely based off from you disability rating. They don’t care what it is, how you got it, or have a combat related clause. So at 50% you can get a donated license and go hunt. Keep a eye out after the licenses are issued, they will have a running list on the Game and Fish website. Call Dan with your letter/application ready and he will sponsor you to try and get it.

Later this year some forum members are holding a HT Veterans General Elk hunt. If all goes well this year we may expand it to next year. Keep a eye out for follow up on it this fall and possible sigh up in Jan.
Thanks! I'll look into that.

I spoke with Dan a few days ago, it was a good conversation. He is going to see what he can do for us. Thanks for the information.

Ben

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back