First Antelope Hunt - 1 WY PP

mylsuhat

Hey guys, I am in the midst of planning my first antelope hunt. This has been my number one bucket list animal since I saw my first antelope running across the prairie on the way to Yellowstone when I was 10 years old. 20 years later, it's past time for me to get it done! I bought a preference point last season and will be applying this year. I have scoured the harvest records, draw odds, public land accessibility, etc. That last one is what has me hung up. I do not want to pay an outfitter or hunt on a ranch. I see great success rates on these units with high draw odds and licenses issued but there is really know way of knowing what was killed on private or public.

Any suggestions? Not asking for specific units or anything. Just maybe some tips to use to select a unit. I feel like I have narrowed it down to a few units in my mind but nothing is set in stone.

I will be flying up from New Orleans into either Denver, Gillette, or Rapid City and then driving over via some sort of rental lol

I am planning on going the second weekend, if that changes anything. October 8 - 12

You have some options with one point in the regular draw. You’ll have quite a few options in units with good public access if you jump into the special draw. Don’t forget to check for WIA opportunities in the units you’re researching. The Hunt Planner on WY G&F’s website is a huge help.

Like everyone has said the interactive map on hunt planner is hard to beat for having a lot of info in one place.

I would also say...if you have a way to transport the meat back home make sure to put in for some doe tags. Lope is amazing table fare.

Good luck and report back!

Agreeing with everyone else's comments, the hunt planner is a huge tool and can only help you. Learn how to use it very efficiently with onx and you'll be set. I'm also a nonres to wyoming and with your point set up you can definitely find a good area and should be able to have an awesome hunt. Keep us posted and good luck!

I would print out the draw odds list. Highlight every unit that you can get with one point or less. Then cross off the units that are 100% with zero points. Start your research with whats left.

I would spend up on the special draw and narrow it down to a couple of units that look like options based on prior year odds. Be mindful of point creep.

Generally, the harder it is to draw a unit, the more huntable public land a unit has. The easier to draw/harder to access units have a fair amount of inaccessible public land. Check your maps for the ACCESSIBLE public land in your chosen units. You can identify the public roads via the county road and bridge websites. The more land you can hunt the better your odds will be.

Keep in mind in these easier to draw units, harvest rates on the public are going to be lower than those for the unit. If a unit has an 85% success rate overall, private land success will be well over 90% with public land success maybe around 70%. Certainly an excellent success rate, but not 85%.

Good luck. Let us know how the hunt goes.

Last edited:
Paying a little more for special draw will help. Make sure that the land in unit has enough public land that is flat...forest service land in the mountains will not help. You have options. Antelope are a great hunt, tons of fun, and Wyoming is THE state for lots of antelope. Dont overlook the walk in private areas some units have as they can help with the amount of huntable land available. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back