First animal harvested..now I’m meat skittish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so this may get me laughed out of this sub but here goes nothing. So the past couple years I’ve been wanting to be in control of my food chain more, specifically where my meat comes from. This year I’ve been on multiple bow hunts and after freezing a few weeks ago on some does..I got my first ever deer. A small buck. (I’m having my second child soon so I don’t know if I’ll be able to get out again this season, hence not waiting for something bigger)

All this to say that I’ve never really liked bone in meat of any kind, but now I’m noticing that I’m skittish of pretty much all meat, Chicken and pork that’s been in my fridge.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve been eating chicken and rice everyday for years now and it hasn’t bothered me. I don’t regret my decision to hunt and the first thing I did when I walked up to the downed animal was thank it.
Yes, I have thought along the same lines for years. My father worked for Swift meats for 30 years and during that time I learned plenty about the meat business. I became concerned at a young age about the hormones given to animals when they're in the feed lot, and tenderizers injected into an animal before it's butchered. Visiting a hog processing plant with all the hogs screaming, plus the stink was eye-opening.
All these years later, after a long stint as a vegetarian, I started eating wild meat and fish and have always had a vegetable garden large enough that I can feed my family all winter with what I grow. It's important to know where your food comes from. It's also "right livelihood" to be grateful and thank the animal that feeds you.
IMHO, you are doing well, Jackson.

This has got to be the funniest, most entertaining thread to come mid season yet.

I’m still baffled… my wife’s doctor told her to avoid red meat (especially wild game) when she was pregnant with our youngest daughter so I still think their may be some legitimacy to the OP’s questions, but I’m too skittish to engage with too much being the nature of the communication FR.

This has got to be the funniest, most entertaining thread to come mid season yet.

I’m still baffled… my wife’s doctor told her to avoid red meat (especially wild game) when she was pregnant with our youngest daughter so I still think their may be some legitimacy to the OP’s questions, but I’m too skittish to engage with too much being the nature of the communication FR.

my wife ate tons of wild game and and beef steak while pregnant. tho she did adhere to the no rare meat guidance.

i think of it this way, how many times in your life have you gotten sick from rarer wild game meat or rarer steak? how often from well done steak or wild game? your answer to that should be your baseline level of concern with a woman eating meat while pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back