First aid

What kind of hunting do you plan on doing? Do you have any training or experience with first aid?

I've given multiple hour classes specifically addressing backcountry first aid, so it's hard to perfectly sum up in one post. What's most advisable is to take a class in your area. Lots of great organizations offer weekend-long wilderness first-aid courses.

For starters, here is what you should prioritize:
  • Communication: if you have cell service, have a way to charge your phone. Always make sure someone back home knows exactly where you are. Know where to get cell service if you won't have it while hunting. Consider buying a garmin inreach if you are heading for true backcountry.
  • Wound control: Buy a SOF-T tourniquet and learn how to use it. Watch youtube videos, take a local class.
    • Bring quick clot, kerlex, and ace wrap. These, when properly used on a wound with a tourniquet, will save your life.
  • Fracture stabilization: Buy a SAM splint and a cravat, learn how to use them.
  • Waterproof fire-starting methods to combat hypothermia.
  • Two forms of water purification. I have a steripen as primary use, and filtration tablets in my pack as backup. Stay hydrated if injured.
  • Carry non-drowsy loratatine (claritin) for anaphylaxis, or an epi-pen if you or someone in your party has a serious allergy.
  • Non-emergency stuff: tweezers, band-aids, alcohol pads, athletic tape, gauze, burn cream, anti-histamine cream, superglue, and neosporin are all helpful.
I could go on, but that is a quick and dirty rough draft. I even hesitate to list things like that without the training necessary to use them, but youtube is your friend. Good luck and please ask more questions if you have them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help I'll look into the classes I know of one offered in my area twice a year I have the two forms of water purification and fire starters I wrote down all the info you gave in my pack notebook

Do any of you guys take sutures into the back country? If so, are you also packing lidocaine or some form of local anesthetic, or just going to grit your teeth and get it over with? I've thought about taking it all with me, but then I start to wonder if I should bring iodine swaps etc. so I'm not just locking in bacteria and setting myself up for sepsis a week later. Then, before I know it, my pack is going to weigh in at about 100lbs and I'm merely a walking hospital.

Do any of you guys take sutures into the back country? If so, are you also packing lidocaine or some form of local anesthetic, or just going to grit your teeth and get it over with? I've thought about taking it all with me, but then I start to wonder if I should bring iodine swaps etc. so I'm not just locking in bacteria and setting myself up for sepsis a week later. Then, before I know it, my pack is going to weigh in at about 100lbs and I'm merely a walking hospital.
I like steri-strips with tegaderm or whatever it's called, pain free application, can do pretty big wounds. Suturing in the backcountry seems like a risk, unless you've got a lot of experience with wound management.

I like steri-strips with tegaderm or whatever it's called, pain free application, can do pretty big wounds. Suturing in the backcountry seems like a risk, unless you've got a lot of experience with wound management.

That's probably a much better idea. I have confidence in the suturing aspect of everything, but it just seems risky potentially locking in something that isn't likely going to be 100% sterile given the surroundings. Next thing we know I'm out there lugging around suture, lido, iodine/alcohol swabs and a prescription of amoxicillin. But hey, I saved 4 ounces on my sleep setup lol.

That's probably a much better idea. I have confidence in the suturing aspect of everything, but it just seems risky potentially locking in something that isn't likely going to be 100% sterile given the surroundings. Next thing we know I'm out there lugging around suture, lido, iodine/alcohol swabs and a prescription of amoxicillin. But hey, I saved 4 ounces on my sleep setup lol.
Yeah, I'd think if you're in a situation that you really need stitches you need to evac.

Zipstitch is also a cool option.
That is a brilliant solution.

I guess most of us have been to hospital with a cut, the most important thing to do is get that cut cleaned out of all dirt, otherwise you just lock in the potential for infection to take hold, rinse and rinse again, and then when you think you are done, rinse again.

I would also add aspirin to the list in case of stroke, if you can take aspirin that is.

Cheers

Richard

Definitely quick clot. My partner and I brought on our hunt for the first time last year. Had to use it after he severely cut his finger breaking down an elk. Sometimes I think those Havalon knives with the replaceable blades are just to damn sharp.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back