Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First Aid/Survival Kit

ida homer

I decided it's time for an overhaul. For backpack hunts, what do you guys keep in the bottom of your pack for survival/first aid? Looking for a detailed list. Less than a week or two away for most of us... Almost there fellas!

Survival - Sol emergency bivy, mini sawyer, bic lighter, waterproof matches, petroleum jelly cotton balls, and iodine tablets on extended trips.

First aid - duck tape, TP, paracord and tylenol. My goal is to stop bleeding and stabilize broken bones. Anything worse than that you're probably screwed anyway. My son carries a huge wilderness first aid kit hoping one of us will have an emergency.

Ad aspirin & spare vicodine to that list. Never know when you need to hike out with a broken leg my dad told me many years ago....the aspirin I added as a former EMT.

My brother in law taught me to carry the bare essential on my person. Packs get left behind too often. Knife, Something to make fire with, emergency blanket, compass, whistle, paracord. The rest goes in the pack and I hope to never use it but I carry pain killers and such in there as well.

I believe there are a few threads with information on this already, but here's a brief list to get you started.
• Elastic Cohesive Ace Bandage Wrap
• EZT Dose baggies (for medicines – aspirin, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, Tums, etc)
• Small tube of Zinc oxide (chafing)
• Small tube of Triple antibiotic ointment
• Butterfly bandaids
• Regular bandaids
• Gauze bandages
• Safety pins
• Small Tweezers
• Latex Gloves
• Celox or clotting bandages
• Insect sting relief pads (sm package)
• Burn jell (sm package)
• Tampons
• Duct tape / gorilla tape

I'd add to the ones above:
1. Bullion cubes
2. zip ties
3. small fishing kit (multiple uses, and minimal bulk)
4. spare compass
5. another lighter
6. I have a small book that MT FWP use to put out on wilderness survival and first aid. It's main purpose is fire starter and reading material. Keep the mind occupied if need be.
7. needle and thread

My whole kit is about 3x4x6", weighs 1lb and is with me EVERY time I go out.

Gauze
Duct tape
Feminine napkin (in WWI, Kotex pads were originally made as bandages. The nurses started using them for, well, you know since they are so absorbent. Comes in handy for jamming into or covering a wound.)
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Medium bandages
Triple antibiotic
Emergency space blanket

The whole thing fits into a quart freezer bag

I have a vacuum packed blow out kit consisting of a couple trauma pads, quickclot, Israeli bandages, gauze, alcohol prep wipes and duct tape that goes in my bino pack so it's always with me. That plus my inreach is the best plan I have for serious injuries involving sharp objects and gunshot wounds. I need to make another couple and add a tourniquet to each. I also have the usual bandaids and wipes in the truck too.

I have a vacuum packed blow out kit consisting of a couple trauma pads, quickclot, Israeli bandages, gauze, alcohol prep wipes and duct tape that goes in my bino pack so it's always with me. That plus my inreach is the best plan I have for serious injuries involving sharp objects and gunshot wounds. I need to make another couple and add a tourniquet to each. I also have the usual bandaids and wipes in the truck too.

If you live in Chicago you need that just to walk down the street :cool:

My first aid kit will always have an ACE BANDAGE in it. Not only good for strains & sprains, but for wrapping up a bleeding wound, or whatever else your imagination may conjure up.

I cant.believe inforvot my SPOT GPS messenger. So worth it.

Bare essential type of guy...

• Platypus gravityworks - only the filter and dirty bag - or tablets
  • Micro BIC Lighter
  • 1 wetfire and some dryer lint
  • Ferro Road/Sparky Thingy
  • Strong fabric style medical tape (my most used item)
  • Bacitracin
  • Paracord
  • Misc bandaids and some gauze patches
  • Alcohol wipes and a tiny hand sanitizer thingy

I like to carry a CAT tourniquet and I keep it close and handy for me or someone else to use on me.
Cotton balls coated with Vaseline are a good fire starter.

I guess over time, I've whittled my first aid kit down quite a bit. I think an Ace bandage will replace a whole of everything else when it comes down to it. You can wrap sprains, or use it for a compression wrap for bleeding wounds. Beyond that, I carry a lighter and some wax stuff for fire starting and figure I'll survive beyond that!

Old thread, great content.

Work had our refresher tourniquet training recently. These simple kits are very light weight and have proven to be a lifesaver. I've added this to the med gear.
Of course I don't enter the woods without the InReach unit. Worth it's weight in gold or better stated, life.

A good article recently read.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back