Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fires 2021

I think campfires are largely going to be a thing of the past in the west. Late season sure, but July... not sure that's coming back in the next decade.

The 2021 Montana Legislature rescinded the state's ban on bottle rockets and roman candles. A week before the 4th, our governor, the same one who signed the bill rescinding the ban on those chinese made firestarters, declared a state of emergency due to drought. I have sat in on discussions to raise fire restrictions in fire restriction areas, and it aint always easy.

In Montana anyway, campfires aren't going anywhere. Maybe on federal lands which would make a big difference I suppose.But we can't even get rid of fireworks when the country is tinder. It's baffling

The 2021 Montana Legislature rescinded the state's ban on bottle rockets and roman candles. A week before the 4th, our governor, the same one who signed the bill rescinding the ban on those chinese made firestarters, declared a state of emergency due to drought. I have sat in on discussions to raise fire restrictions in fire restriction areas, and it aint always easy.

In Montana anyway, campfires aren't going anywhere. Maybe on federal lands which would make a big difference I suppose.But we can't even get rid of fireworks when the country is tinder.
Yesh...

This happened after I went home from work at 530. I did get a message from @44hunter45 a little later when he rolled through town that it had started, but I would have never guessed it burned that much, that close to town overnight. All the way to the Columbia. I woke up last night at 3 am when my buddy called. I didn't answer figuring he had to go out on a call (State Trooper) and butt dialed me. Apparently he was looking for evac help. I feel like an ass for ignoring it. I told him to call twice next time. Estimated at 4k acres and threatening several 100 homes.
View attachment 188223
View attachment 188224
I was holed up at the Fairfield Inn for a couple of days. Back home in Idaho about an hour ago now. While I was waiting for a workmate to show up at Olive Garden yesterday, I watched the planes loading up from the river and dumping in Warm Springs Canyon. Very cool!

Our server at Olive Garden lives in Red Apple and was fighting the fire at their place before any professionals arrived. They lost some pear trees and their neighbor lost a metal shop building. She they were holding their own until their PVC irrigation pipes melted.

I'm told that even though the origin was in Red Apple, most of the property damage was in Sunnyslope.

Is 97 open up the river, or do you have to use 2 to get in to East Wenatchee?

We were a man short yesterday because our man who lives pretty high up in Sunnyslope was evacuated the first night.

My phone was going off all night with Chelan County cell phone emergency alerts for various evac orders.

Inciweb says 11,000 acres with the last update being 8 hours ago. Hoping this gets containment soon.

InciWeb also shows the detail for the extinguished Batterman Fire upslope from Rock Island. I came up Batterman Road Monday to shortcut to the data centers. I was surprised by all the black there. Actually no, I wasn't.

I was holed up at the Fairfield Inn for a couple of days. Back home in Idaho about an hour ago now. While I was waiting for a workmate to show up at Olive Garden yesterday, I watched the planes loading up from the river and dumping in Warm Springs Canyon. Very cool!

Our server at Olive Garden lives in Red Apple and was fighting the fire at their place before any professionals arrived. They lost some pear trees and their neighbor lost a metal shop building. She they were holding their own until their PVC irrigation pipes melted.

I'm told that even though the origin was in Red Apple, most of the property damage was in Sunnyslope.

Is 97 open up the river, or do you have to use 2 to get in to East Wenatchee?

We were a man short yesterday because our man who lives pretty high up in Sunnyslope was evacuated the first night.

My phone was going off all night with Chelan County cell phone emergency alerts for various evac orders.

Inciweb says 11,000 acres with the last update being 8 hours ago. Hoping this gets containment soon.

InciWeb also shows the detail for the extinguished Batterman Fire upslope from Rock Island. I came up Batterman Road Monday to shortcut to the data centers. I was surprised by all the black there. Actually no, I wasn't.

Highway was open today. There was quite a bit burned last night but the switching wind directions had helped. Today's high winds were pushing it back onto already burned territory. Aerial water assaults are doing wonders.

I spent summer 1969 on a lookout. Next 4 years on trail crew and a smoke chaser. C-rats and a pulaski. In 43 years living in a tent I don't remember ever having a campfire. Never even had one during hunting- no I fibbed. I lit one when my kids got cold while I was quartering a bull. The hoar frost was so severe and penetrating I feared frostbite for the kids.

Campfires may be comforting but an unnecessary gamble in July, August and early September.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back