Fire Prone and Fat Animals - What This Whimpering Winter Might Mean for Wyoming

This might affect Wyoming hunting in a big way but should result in tasty critters if you tag out.

I posted this below on another thread but it is an interesting forecast. I worry that we will spend more time in the extremes of El Nino and La Nina and less time in neutral. This seems to spell eventual disaster for populations. They just can't adapt fast enough. With it taking 2-4 years to recover in normal periods, how can they recover if we keep flipping between drought and deep snow/starvation.

I posted this below on another thread but it is an interesting forecast. I worry that we will spend more time in the extremes of El Nino and La Nina and less time in neutral. This seems to spell eventual disaster for populations. They just can't adapt fast enough. With it taking 2-4 years to recover in normal periods, how can they recover if we keep flipping between drought and deep snow/starvation.

That has been a pretty important point in the recent climate literature that I have read - the transitions between extremes on both ends are expected to speed up, and as a result, we'll be spending more time at the extremes overall. Like for example, the midwest is predicted to get 10-30% more precipitation annually (predicted to 2065 I think), but they expect it to shift more to the winter/spring. So potentially more frequent floods in the winter, but that shift is also expected to lead to drier summers with potential for more extended droughts broken up by infrequent heavy precipitation events.

Sorry but this is nothing burger. Since this story we have an awesome storm. Is there reason to be concerned for a few areas, sure, but there are other areas sitting at 100% and 90s etc.

It is way to early to hit the panic button. Still lots of spring left and the snows that just hit had a ton of water in them...

Sorry but this is nothing burger. Since this story we have an awesome storm. Is there reason to be concerned for a few areas, sure, but there are other areas sitting at 100% and 90s etc.

It is way to early to hit the panic button. Still lots of spring left and the snows that just hit had a ton of water in them...
I disagree completely. Sure we had a major storm but not enough to do any significant winter kill. What I am seeing out of it is higher than normal fawn production due to mild winters and good food access through the winter. I see some nice fat critters that gonna taste good on the dinner table. Least for the areas I plan on hunting barring more health issues. Western half of state is a whole nother story but east half has had above normal moisture and mild winters which I think will be good for what I hunt.

I disagree completely. Sure we had a major storm but not enough to do any significant winter kill. What I am seeing out of it is higher than normal fawn production due to mild winters and good food access through the winter. I see some nice fat critters that gonna taste good on the dinner table. Least for the areas I plan on hunting barring more health issues. Western half of state is a whole nother story but east half has had above normal moisture and mild winters which I think will be good for what I hunt.
Yeah I am saying the article is kind of a nothing burger. The deer left are healthy, the range is still in good condition from last fall. I was commenting on the Fire fears and the "pending" drought fears. This winter has been easy but I was taking the issue as this summer will be bad. My comment about the storms is that many areas (Lander area included) got a ton of moisture this week... not bad but good as the snow packs all snuck up a chunk. We need a wet spring, even one or 2 good late heavy snows will make a huge difference...

SO it was a nothing burger as nothing really important was said and there is a still a ton of time for us to make up moisture...

This mild winter has been a blessing for our wildlife. The antelope herds between Shoshoni and Casper were looking so fat and happy the other day.

Back