Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Fire Pit Thread

I really enjoyed our backyard fire pit construction. My wife and I have always wanted to bring our adventures home with us, so we sprinkled our CA backyard with bits of Colorado, Montana, Utah, and Idaho... our favorite places. Every new place we go we grab a small rock and place it in the creek. Our little girl loves it!

IMG_1930.JPGIMG_1968.JPGIMG_2282.JPGIMG_3090.JPGIMG_0182.JPG

I see a lot of these fire pits with 12" - 18" perimeter walls of steel, stone or bricks. While those look nice, and keep the fire contained your feet and lower legs are cold when sitting around them as they don't get any of the radiant heat. Something down at ground level or a shallow depression below ground level is much warmer to sit around.

Comment - It's not a great idea to build a real hot fire up against concrete or concrete brick / blocks. They typically won't take the heat real well and will break down over time. Better to use hard fire brick or stone. Also - Turn in your man card if you're sitting around one of those natural gas or LP fire pits.

All these look great, we just started a back patio expansion and are installing a fireplace. Stamped concrete is down and fireplace construction will start soon. Ready for some of those evenings.

I see a lot of these fire pits with 12" - 18" perimeter walls of steel, stone or bricks. While those look nice, and keep the fire contained your feet and lower legs are cold when sitting around them as they don't get any of the radiant heat. Something down at ground level or a shallow depression below ground level is much warmer to sit around.

Comment - It's not a great idea to build a real hot fire up against concrete or concrete brick / blocks. They typically won't take the heat real well and will break down over time. Better to use hard fire brick or stone. Also - Turn in your man card if you're sitting around one of those natural gas or LP fire pits.
I had someone tell me that so I did get the fire brick to line mine. I gapped the wall bricks to let in some air as well. A reflector wall on the back side seems to help a lot. The wall keeps little toddlers from falling in at worst...

Is that aluminum? I need to invest for river use as well. Who makes it?
It’s made by Fireside Outdoors. The Pop-Up-Pit. There a few different types of configurations available. I have the stainless steel cooking grates for it too.

I’m not sure exactly what it is made of. I think its some form of alloy. I have a few friends that use them on rivers and was impressed with the ease of use. I prefer it over the old school fire pan.

I’ve bought some from big box stores and made my own Frankenstein forced air firepit to be used in cold weather. None of those options works as well as this. I was skeptical until we used it for the first time. Mine is the medium sized one. It burns everything to ash and is really quite smokeless. We take it with us on camping trips. It’s really portable.

solostove.com

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back