• Thank you for creating an account on Hunt Talk! We require that all new users contribute at least 10 posts before gaining the ability to start new threads. Once you have made 10 posts, you will be able to start new threads in the forum.

Fire kit

dgc1963

I always carry a ziploc baggie of pitch wood sticks in my pack. I do a lot of burning in all kinds of weather and go through a lot of pitch wood in a year. Found a nice old log the other day. Split it up and it burns like gasoline.

View attachment 122715

View attachment 122716

View attachment 122717

View attachment 122718
Fat wood is great for starting fires you can find it on every pine tree where a branch died off, the sap collects at the joint to seal tree from infection and like he said lights like its soaked in gas

Paul in Idaho

I'm packing for my late-season hunt today, and remembered this thread.

Here's my winter fire kit. I have 4 methods to get a flame, 2 types of tinder, and 2 long-burning fuel types.

Fuel blocks in a waterproof pill bottle
2 bottles 91% isopropyl alcohol
Flameless electric lighter
Antibiotic ointment from my first aid kit
Cotton balls in a waterproof pill bottle
Plain Bic lighter
Waterproof matches and striker
Ferro rod and striker

Total weight is 9.4oz. I take out about half of the items for hunts in warmer, dryer conditions.

This should cover just about any situation I find myself in. I also have road flares in my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 3

schmalts

I use those little fireplace starter bricks. I cut them into a chunk about the size of 1x1" Because they are waxy they can even get wet and will light with any lighter or match. They seem to burn longer than the cotton balls with Vaseline I used to use.

H

hnt4life

Dont forget to op check your equipment before a hunt. Both of my lighters and my "waterproof " matches would not ignite this year, despite being brand new 2 years ago. I carry a bic lighter, ferro rod/magnesium, high dollar pyro putty, matches, and small fire sticks, all double zip locked. I also pay attention while in the hills for fire starting materials and shelter material : fun to do while hunting.

BillDoe708

How many practice starting fires with their kit before they need it in a hurry?

Like today it's raining/snowing and 34 degrees here. Everything is soaked.

H

hnt4life

How many practice starting fires with their kit before they need it in a hurry?

Like today it's raining/snowing and 34 degrees here. Everything is soaked.
I've done it a couple of times. I actually completely failed in similar conditions, but I'm better prepared now. I like to spend several seconds when I'm not hiking to survey my surroundings for fire starting and shelter potential.

SITKA Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLC