Fire kit

I always carry a ziploc baggie of pitch wood sticks in my pack. I do a lot of burning in all kinds of weather and go through a lot of pitch wood in a year. Found a nice old log the other day. Split it up and it burns like gasoline.

View attachment 122715

View attachment 122716

View attachment 122717

View attachment 122718
Fat wood is great for starting fires you can find it on every pine tree where a branch died off, the sap collects at the joint to seal tree from infection and like he said lights like its soaked in gas

I'm packing for my late-season hunt today, and remembered this thread.

Here's my winter fire kit. I have 4 methods to get a flame, 2 types of tinder, and 2 long-burning fuel types.

Fuel blocks in a waterproof pill bottle
2 bottles 91% isopropyl alcohol
Flameless electric lighter
Antibiotic ointment from my first aid kit
Cotton balls in a waterproof pill bottle
Plain Bic lighter
Waterproof matches and striker
Ferro rod and striker

Total weight is 9.4oz. I take out about half of the items for hunts in warmer, dryer conditions.

This should cover just about any situation I find myself in. I also have road flares in my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 4
I use those little fireplace starter bricks. I cut them into a chunk about the size of 1x1" Because they are waxy they can even get wet and will light with any lighter or match. They seem to burn longer than the cotton balls with Vaseline I used to use.

Dont forget to op check your equipment before a hunt. Both of my lighters and my "waterproof " matches would not ignite this year, despite being brand new 2 years ago. I carry a bic lighter, ferro rod/magnesium, high dollar pyro putty, matches, and small fire sticks, all double zip locked. I also pay attention while in the hills for fire starting materials and shelter material : fun to do while hunting.

How many practice starting fires with their kit before they need it in a hurry?

Like today it's raining/snowing and 34 degrees here. Everything is soaked.

How many practice starting fires with their kit before they need it in a hurry?

Like today it's raining/snowing and 34 degrees here. Everything is soaked.
I've done it a couple of times. I actually completely failed in similar conditions, but I'm better prepared now. I like to spend several seconds when I'm not hiking to survey my surroundings for fire starting and shelter potential.

In my camping/hiking kit i keep vaseline saturated cotton sealed inside short 1.5-2” pieces of drinking straw sealed at both ends using a bag sealer or just melt and pinch closed. U can use same meathod for lots of stuff.... asprin, soap, salt, sugar, laundry detergent, alcohol, first aid ointment... totally waterproof and floats.

Pretty much the same as a lot of you. One lighter in the pocket, one in the kit with some matches for backup. Cotton balls etc. The one thing I always have is a piece of aluminum foil. I put my fire starter and tinder on the foil so it burns hot and stays isolated from any ground moisture ( or snow, etc.) until things are good and hot.

I vacuum seal my fire starter stuff as well. Keeps stuff dry and compresses it to fit better. I also have a small candle or 2. You might add a couple sticks of Chap Stick. They are good as fire starters also and if your caught out over night in cold wind, they can help relieve dry cracked lips for better comfort. I really like things that have more than one use.
Following along with the "multi-use" chapstick, you can carry Fritos Corn chips. Not only can you snack on them, you can light them on fire with a lighter and they'll burn much like any other fire starter. #boyscoutingdays

i have a few bic lighters, in my truck, pack and various places. I was given a Tricer lighter. but the bic is always in my gear. i carry a ferro rod too, but the bic is just too easy. i don't carry anything extra to light. if i was in that much trouble, i'd use something on me if it's dry, or find something if i'm in the woods.

if i thought i was going somewhere that there's nothing or snow, etc., i might consider something flammable to use to start a fire. but for local camping in So Cal, which is 99 percent of what i do, the bic is the trick...

Don't get much lighter and non-bulky than peelings from a paper birch tree vacuum sealed for emergency tinder. Nature's burn even when wet offering.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back