Fire kit

Bluejeep

+1 for trioxane and the those windproof matches.

I bought 30 trioxane tabs off eBay for $18. It's the easiest lighting stuff I have found.

COEngineer

The only problem I have had with windproof/weatherproof matches is that they have a relatively short shelf life - shorter if you live somewhere humid (vac sealing probably helps this).

Short story about lighters: I saw one of those fancy windproof, waterproof lighters and had to have one. $50 later I hiked into the woods for an overnighter with the family and left all other fire-starting implements at home cuz I have this new fancy lighter that works under any condition. We were probably at 10,000' or so and freezing our butts off (early Spring) and I was going to light the stove to make dinner and then get a campfire going...nothing. When I got back to civilization I looked it up found out they are not recommended above about 9,000' and you know what lights at every altitude up to about 15,000'?
A 50 cent Bic.

WalkingBird

I just added some Pyro putty to my pack, I’ve done a couple small campfires with it and really like it so far. Other than that new addition, I carry a lighter wrapped in duct tape, old dry birch bark, a ferro rod and some waterproof matches. Oh, and some Vaseline cotton balls

recon6036

Stuff coin sleeves full of dryer lint. Dip sleeve, with lint, in Paraffin wax. When ready, cut an end, pull out a bit of lint and light.

Dewey

I have matches a lighter and a magnesium stick and carry cotton balls with Vaseline I keep them in an old prescription bottle

Tradewind

Zeus double arc plasma lighter. abt $12

Storm proof matches from rei as a backup.
Fire paste.
quickfire all purpose fire starters. if you're worried abt weight, these weigh next to nothing
All in a zip lock bag

Now gimme my merit badge

Tradewind

Here ya go Rancho....Enough of your wimpy flares
gitcha a real fire starter.........