Fire kit

+1 for trioxane and the those windproof matches.

I bought 30 trioxane tabs off eBay for $18. It's the easiest lighting stuff I have found.

The only problem I have had with windproof/weatherproof matches is that they have a relatively short shelf life - shorter if you live somewhere humid (vac sealing probably helps this).

Short story about lighters: I saw one of those fancy windproof, waterproof lighters and had to have one. $50 later I hiked into the woods for an overnighter with the family and left all other fire-starting implements at home cuz I have this new fancy lighter that works under any condition. We were probably at 10,000' or so and freezing our butts off (early Spring) and I was going to light the stove to make dinner and then get a campfire going...nothing. When I got back to civilization I looked it up found out they are not recommended above about 9,000' and you know what lights at every altitude up to about 15,000'?
A 50 cent Bic.

I just added some Pyro putty to my pack, I’ve done a couple small campfires with it and really like it so far. Other than that new addition, I carry a lighter wrapped in duct tape, old dry birch bark, a ferro rod and some waterproof matches. Oh, and some Vaseline cotton balls

I have matches a lighter and a magnesium stick and carry cotton balls with Vaseline I keep them in an old prescription bottle

Zeus double arc plasma lighter. abt $12

Storm proof matches from rei as a backup.
Fire paste.
quickfire all purpose fire starters. if you're worried abt weight, these weigh next to nothing
All in a zip lock bag

Now gimme my merit badge

I always carry a ziploc baggie of pitch wood sticks in my pack. I do a lot of burning in all kinds of weather and go through a lot of pitch wood in a year. Found a nice old log the other day. Split it up and it burns like gasoline.

20191214_143811.jpg

20191215_100734.jpg

20191215_101648.jpg

20191214_140940.jpg

Trioxane tabs used to be my go to, but they didn’t store well once you opened one.
I just tried Pyro Putty on a camping trip and the stuff works great. I also like the small tin it comes in. Going to order a bunch of the .5 oz cans.

Personally I like store them in thermal coffee cups. The ones with a suction seal that way nothing gets in or out. It helps me save space as well as multifunctional.

Im building a small kit to throw in my pack. I have char cloth, cotton balls with vaseline, magnesium stick with farro rod, and a lighter. Other than a bit of kindling what else is everyone using? My big question is what are you keeping it in? I want waterproof, durable, and small but not found a container i like yet.
Plastic snuff cans work great for cotton balls

I carry two small kits set up just about the same as everybody else. One kit I use on a regular basis. I practice building a fire almost every deer or elk hunt,every year, for almost sixty years. The other kit is saved for when” shit gets real”

About 100 years ago when I got my Fire Starting Merit Badge in the Boy Scouts, I rolled newspaper real tight into about a 1" roll. I then tied the roll with string with a ties about every inch. Then cut the roll between the ties, and soak each piece in melted paraffin.

To start a fire, tear open a couple of inches of the roll, put it under a pile of small sticks, and the torn, waxed paper easily lights with a match or bic lighter.

I still carry a half dozen of these waxed paper rolls in a zip loc bag, along with some waterproof matches in a film canister, a bic lighter, and a magnesium fire starter as a last resort. A pinch of ball powder mixed in your Vaseline cotton balls gives them an extra zip.

Lighter knot is beautiful stuff. A few sticks of that and a lighter I'm golden. You can also shave it and use a ferro. Burns long and hot.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back