PEAX Equipment

Fingers crossed on hunting spot

Chris76

Where I live in Pa it’s hard to find private land to hunt. I found 30 acres about a week ago but it was a 3 guy lease and I posted on hunttalk and with the advise I got on here just didn’t think it was any safer with my son than public land. So I downloaded the OnXhunt app and looked for large land owners. I emailed a guy who owns timber land and got a email back and said he would like to meet me and he will prob let me and my son hunt. I am clean cut and polite guy that if he lets me hunt I will take care of his land as if it was mine. When I meet him should I like take a gift just for taking time to talk to me. I will give him deer meat if I get one to show him appreciation. Fingers crossed and boy am I glad I got the OnXhunt. Thoughts of a gift I can take him that wouldn’t seem that weird. Thanks to everyone who post back to me with their thoughts and opinions. Hopefully my lucky day from Pa

My son will diff be with me when and if I talk to him. The guy owns a saw mill but his brother also owns it with him and he has to talk to his brother. It’s the first good news I have gotten about a place to hunt in awhile so I will take.

After season is over, if he likes a drink give him a bottle of his favorite. Be a good steward of the land-pick up trash even if it isn’t yours. Keep gates open or closed, however they’re supposed to be. Help out however you can. Don’t go over the top but if roads need trimming out or fences need fixing put some time into doing so. Tell him about people you think are not supposed to be there. My folks let someone hunt their place because he helps keep poachers run off.

A favor winning gift in times past for me has been a well framed photo of some aspect of the land I was permitted to access. And after understanding what one specific landowner liked, I would shoot out a quick note/text/phone call to inform how things were on the land (tenant farmer had cut the hay, fence was sagging at the NW corner, heard a boatload of quail), and sharing a portion of the harvest (backstrap, turkey breast, etc) has been met with appreciation. One landowner liked that I would take a mattock onto the land with me when scouting to take out the small cedars that were trying to take over the hayfield edges.

Treat the land as if it were yours, and they will be more likely to continue offer permissions.

No gift up front.

Give a genuine compliment about their property. Express gratitude in them taking the time to speak with you. I leave a personal (business) card that has my picture and contact info on it. He might have special restrictions he asks you to abide by, so be ready for that too. Most landowners who grant permission like to chat, in my experience. I usually spend 10 minutes up to an hour, depending on how chatty they are. They usually like to get a feel for what kind of person you are. They want to know you're going to be lawful, respect the property, and not show up with a gang of 6 hunters opening morning.

Good luck! I know the struggle of hunting PA, it’s a who do you know or how much can you fork up game.

You wouldn’t happen to be in NE PA? Im leaving to go west in 2mo and would share some of my productive koxations

Also look into the cooperative lands, they’ve always been amazing and a gold mine for me.

Have you ever checked those out?

Good luck! I know the struggle of hunting PA, it’s a who do you know or how much can you fork up game.

You wouldn’t happen to be in NE PA? Im leaving to go west in 2mo and would share some of my productive koxations

Also look into the cooperative lands, they’ve always been amazing and a gold mine for me.

Have you ever checked those out?
From State College

I've never given a gift upon meeting with a landowner. Though like others, I have given something as a thank you after the season. Some guys have no interest in eating game they have to cook so instead, I offer jerky and sausage. A few years ago on a place we turkey hunted I brought some gate closers built by a friend as I knew there were several gates that were so tight most people couldn't get them closed. They really liked them.

Definetly bring your som to meet him and as has been said I will echo no gift right away. If he likes venison maybe ask if he would like some after the season, a case of beer or gift card to local restarant after the season is over would probably go over well. I knew a guy that didn’t have time to fish but really liked walleye so I would stop by with fillets in the summer. A nice gesture after the season can go a long way but most important leave the land better than you found it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back