Finding Elk this time of year....

SWMontana1

The elk have went quiet in a hurry, I assume it's a combination of the rut winding down- if not over, the extremely hot weather, and the full moon... So how do I find these bulls now, for the last couple weeks of archery??? I know elk are in the area, just wondering what you guys think would be my best chance to close in on some.....Cow calls? Bugles? Silent- just walking around hoping to bump into them? Sitting there glassing? Or a combo of all??? Expect them to be silent to my calls? Pretty tough time of year....

Silent- just walking around hoping to bump into them?

Never a good option to "bump into" elk, especially during archery. Try some locating cow calls first at dawn, if no respone then try the bugle. Obviously, play the specific situation if you do get a response. If no response.... Call, wait, listen and glass. Move slowly and quietly and then repeat. If a bull does decide to come in, he will come in silent at this stage in the game, but then again he might be vocal as well. You just never know! Get out there and try it all, you won't get a bull sitting on the couch- I can guarantee that. Just try to avoid walking around in hopes of finding an elk close enough to shoot with your bow... but then again you could luck out doing that as well. You just never know.

Last edited:
BrownIngBlr, I assume your advice should well for the rifle opener? I was archery hunting in Montana a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 90's and they sure we're quiet. Thanks in advance.

Do you own a good pair of binoculars? Use them. Go to the high ground in your hunting area and start glassing. If it's hot, they need water.. The bulls will generally be in the same area they were before the rut. On top of small promintories, in deep dark canyons, any where they can rest and get enough food to gain back some of the weight they lost during the rut. Look for them early in the mornings, on south and west facing slopes where they can feed in peace..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back