Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Finally received the rifle that I had on layaway for 3 months in the caliber that I have wanted to try for 8-10 years last Friday.

WVgoodguy22

A continuation of a post that a made a few months ago about finding an AWESOME sale on a rifle that I want to set up for Western Big Game Hunting in the near future. To set it up I am from West Virginia and have only hunted whitetail with a rifle and usually shots are under 100 yards where I live, I have used my late 90s Savage Model 110 in .270 Win for practically 20 years. I have reloaded it for many years as well. (53 grains of IMR 4350 with a Nosler Ballistic Tip in 130 grain "Up Front") I love my .270 and I know for a fact that I could use that caliber especially with a heftier and hardier bullet for elk like 145-150 grainers or still use my 130s for Mule Deer and Pronghorn. But as I am sure most people on this forum page are always looking to at least try another rifle, not necessarily as a replacement, but as an addition to their armory no matter how big or small. Well I worked for Cabela's for almost 10 years, and I forever and a day was stuck in the mindset that I had to have another left handed rifle, what made it even tougher was that the caliber that I was most interested in was the .300 WSM. The only rifle that I found that Cabela's sold at the time was the Tikka T3x, which is an excellent rifle as many on here recommend to "looking for a new rifle posts", but I never pulled the trigger on that, mostly for $$$ reasons, even with the discount that Cabela's USE to have before Bass Pro. Plus I never got to shoot such a light rifle in a Magnum caliber.
Anyway, years later with my brother wanting to go out west for our first trip out west for big game, mostly elk and mule deer and him trying to set up his own longer range hunting rifle with his 7mm Rem Mag. (Which sadly after trying so many different things from reloading and even factory ammo as well as putting on a muzzlebrake, a 1" limbsaver pad it wasn't as consistent as his deadly .270 Win in Win Model 70 that he has used for whitetail for 16 years and is really comfortable and accurate with). I ramped up my desire for a .30 caliber rifle and kept looking and looking, going to gun shows, checking multiple pawn shops, going to Cabela's, checking online gun stores. My brother is a fan of BudsGunShop and I kept checking that site and others like GunBroker, GunProDeals, GunBuyer, GrabAGun, etc... I saw a sweet deal on the New Savage Model 110 with Accufit in the Long Range Hunter and .300 WSM. I was able to get it for $562 and ended up being $635 after other costs ($25 to keep it on layaway for 3 months) which is down from the $882 that not long after I hit the Confirm button it went back up to.
My brother gave me the old Bushnell Trophy 6-18x50 that he had on his 7mm Rem Mag, before getting his Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS on that gun. I had trouble sighting it in (took 17 shots of the Federal Premium Berger Hybrid Hunter) to get it 2 inches high at 100. I have never used the Accutrigger and my Dad and brother told me I wasn't squeezing the trigger consistently. I wish that I would have looked around and got some much cheaper ammo to break in the rifle and sight it in. Like some American Whitetail, etc... ordered something online. I was excited to get it home and wanted to try out some bullets that I may reload later so I went with the 185 grain Hybrid Hunters (recommended to me) and the 180 grain GMXs. The cheapest .300 WSM ammo at Cabela's who I used as my FFL was $39 for Federal Power Shok, while the Federal Prem Bergers were $43 and Hornady Outfitter was $48. :( .... While .308 and .30-06 ammo is much cheaper across the board, even .300 WM in some cases. My brother tried it using the GMXs and since he adjusted the scope for 4 MOA and it only moved less than 2 he took that Bushnell off and put the 4-12x42 Redfield with return to zero dials on it and use to be on his .270 before he replaced it with a VX-Freedom 4-12x40 and it worked better. (hence the 4th pic with a the different scope I don't have the $$$ for the scopes that I was looking at including the Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 that a former coworker of my Dad's offered to me including rings for $500. I bought a 20 MOA rail in anticipation for that scope in particular.
I looked different 30-33 caliber rifles and calibers from .308, .30-06, 300 WSM, .300 RUM (which I know mtmuley recommends to everyone), .300 Weatherby in a Vanguard, .338 Win Mag, I didn't include the .300 Win Mag (my Dad and my other brother has one) nor did I include the .7mm Rem Mag no matter how good it can be since my youngest brother has one and I wanted something different since he also has that .270 like me that I mentioned. But when I saw that sale and it was $300+ off, I jumped on it. I instantly had buyer's remorse, but not long after got excited about it again. Sadly since I haven't found a better job than the one I am stuck in at WalMart I wasn't able to get a mule deer tag like my Dad and youngest brother do for Idaho from Oct. 10-18, but I plan on going along and getting a fishing license. I know I could have taken my .270 and wouldn't have bought a rifle if it wasn't such a good sale. I do like the Accustock and Accufit feature on that rifle and since I had it set up for a 50mm Objective, I used the 3rd level size cheek riser. Probably won't shoot it much until after our trip, but I know that I will have it set up for spring bear if I can go out west or even a state closer to WV and definitely by next fall. I eventually plan to reload for it as well, I have at least 30 rounds of brass ready for such a venture and I know that I will have more.
Oh and I was pleasantly surprised that the firearm reached my FFL of choice in one day from BudsGunShop after being quoted 3-7 days after I made the FINAL payment at 6:30AM on Wednesday and got a call at 10am on Thursday. I am glad that it did so that I could share and show my brother before he headed back to where he works for The Army.

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    924.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    918 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Congratulations on getting her in! I know the wait has been killing you...
Thanks Rock I was so stoked when I got the email and then the call. I couldn't get her on Thursday, but I got up to Cabela's not long after they opened and inspected her and she looked fine. So I went with it and had them put on that scope with inexpensive Leupold Rifleman rings and that Blackhawk 20 MOA rail. I look forward to shooting her more and dialing everything in. I will use her this rifle season for whitetail.

Sweet! Always enjoyed shooting a Savage rifle, always accurate and dependable! Congrats!
Sweet indeed. My .270 as I mentioned is also a Savage Model 110 before the accutrigger and the trigger is set up to a good poundage and breaks nice. Still have to get use to the Accutrigger, may do some dry fire practice with it. I was looking at other brands like the Tikka T3X, The Winchester XPR, Browning A-Bolt (can't afford the X-Bolt, especially any Hell's Canyon) in the .300 WSM and some others in .308, etc... but that was too nice of a deal to pass up. So Savage once again. Only makes two rifles that I own and I actually have a Savage A17 in 17 HMR on layaway and I am only paying $184 for it instead of $383.

Thanks everyone I am happy to that I was able to get a new rig and try and build it as I can. I am thankful for my brother lending me his scopes, he took that Redfield 4-12x40 that was on his .270 and put it on his .22LR after he got a Leupold for his baby in the .270. We were shooting 450 yards and I hit just below the Sight NC target first shot out of my .270 with a Nikon Monarch 3 in 3-12x42 with the BDC so I know I don't need a huge zoom range to shoot reasonable hunting ranges even though this gun is called Long Range Hunter. I know the scope that I may get unless he sells it is more than I really may need, but it is such a good price and I like the idea of the exposed top turret for dialing elevation.
I am also debating whether to put a small picatanny rail on the front to have a detachable bipod or just buy those bipod shooting sticks that I can also use as a pseudo walking stick to save weight on the gun?
In the winter or spring if I have the $$ I may get the action cerakoted and do that painting process that VikingsGuy told me about on the stock just for a nice personal custom touch.

Well now...that's a fine lookin' rifle! Has some panache to it! I am sure you have been chompin' on the bit to get it since you pulled the trigger! Most of the production rifles out there with the features you have cost at least 3 times as much as what you paid. Sounds like you had an enjoyable buying experience. You did your homework, checked out the look and feel, then picked the rifle that was right for you. That .300 WSM is good medicine for any big game animal in North America.

How is that accu-trigger different than the standard single stage trigger? Also, how effective is the muzzle brake on recoil? Both features I am interested in. I just haven't had any experience with them. I really like the Sako Finnlight 2 as it has those features plus a fluted SS barrel. I would like it a lot more though if it wasn't 2 grand. I think the 20 MOA rail is a wise choice as it will definitely extend your dial-up range. I wouldn't worry about getting what you need in a scope. Just get the best glass you can afford as long as it is what you really enjoy shooting. If you enjoy shooting with the scope, you will have confidence and that is 99% of making a good shot. A pic rail with a short bipod is okay for precision shooting as you will get the best stability. But in practical hunting situations you will want an extendable long bipod as most of your shots will most likely be from a sitting position. You will come to appreciate the long bi-pod especially when making a down hill shot.

The speed goat in the avatar was taken in the prone position at about 150 yards. I paid the price by digging cactus needles out of my knee. Shooting sticks are impractical for the type of hunting that I do. I do use a walking stick because of the shrapnel in my knee. However if I could walk normally, I would probably opt for trekking poles. I took the bi-pod off to save some weight for backpacking into the Elk this season. Practiced using the backpack as a rest. However, lady luck smiled on me again because the elk are an easy hike from base camp. I put the bipod back on.

Sweet rig! Congrats!

Congrats on the new family member! Lol

If you get up towards central PA, bring it, your brother, & the Rem Mag and we'll see what the heck is going on!
Just shoot me a PM & i'll make the time!

Well now...that's a fine lookin' rifle! Has some panache to it! I am sure you have been chompin' on the bit to get it since you pulled the trigger! Most of the production rifles out there with the features you have cost at least 3 times as much as what you paid. Sounds like you had an enjoyable buying experience. You did your homework, checked out the look and feel, then picked the rifle that was right for you. That .300 WSM is good medicine for any big game animal in North America.

How is that accu-trigger different than the standard single stage trigger? Also, how effective is the muzzle brake on recoil? Both features I am interested in. I just haven't had any experience with them. I really like the Sako Finnlight 2 as it has those features plus a fluted SS barrel. I would like it a lot more though if it wasn't 2 grand. I think the 20 MOA rail is a wise choice as it will definitely extend your dial-up range. I wouldn't worry about getting what you need in a scope. Just get the best glass you can afford as long as it is what you really enjoy shooting. If you enjoy shooting with the scope, you will have confidence and that is 99% of making a good shot. A pic rail with a short bipod is okay for precision shooting as you will get the best stability. But in practical hunting situations you will want an extendable long bipod as most of your shots will most likely be from a sitting position. You will come to appreciate the long bi-pod especially when making a down hill shot.

The speed goat in the avatar was taken in the prone position at about 150 yards. I paid the price by digging cactus needles out of my knee. Shooting sticks are impractical for the type of hunting that I do. I do use a walking stick because of the shrapnel in my knee. However if I could walk normally, I would probably opt for trekking poles. I took the bi-pod off to save some weight for backpacking into the Elk this season. Practiced using the backpack as a rest. However, lady luck smiled on me again because the elk are an easy hike from base camp. I put the bipod back on.

Sweet rig! Congrats!
Thank you so much for those kind words. Oh you know it, even though I had buyer's remorse it didn't last too long and I was excited. There are two schools of thought out there, many people want an ultralight mountain rifle, but I am not so sure about that with a MAGNUM caliber. The other is if you do have a Magnum caliber that it be 7+ lbs to mitigate recoil and give a better shooting platform for potential longer range shots whether prone or on a backpack or a bipod. The rifle is listed at 8.4 lbs, which was my biggest hesitant aside from maybe not having the $$ for a mule deer tag. I was worried that it would be heavy like the Savage 12 FV in 22-250 with the same length barrel of 26" but there is much more metal in that barrel since it is a 22 caliber. (hence why it is 9.5 lbs) I actually was looking around to see if I could find that model rifle in a store before I hit confirm, but they didn't at the time or as it was with Cabela's it isn't listed on their website so I didn't get to hold one before making the decision to go ahead with the layaway. Savage does make a model 110 Lightweight Storm in various calibers .308 and under and is around the mid $500 mark and I thought about that one since it is 5.6 lbs, but the rifle I got was a better deal being $320 off and in the caliber that I wanted the most and provided a wider ballistic performance gap from my wonderful .270 than the .308 or even .30-06 did, and it being right handed didn't bother me anymore.

I like the Accufit, pretty easy to use even though I did have a problem with one screw to take the buttpad, length of pull spacer that was already on it and the standard height cheek riser. I tried 3 of the 4 cheek risers on without having the buttpad in just to check my eye relief and that I was lined up with the scope that was on it at the time. I know when that scope was on my brothers older Savage Model 110 and had high mounts because of the 50mm objective I was getting chin weld and not the cheek weld one should which of course I couldn't stand. So that feature on the new rifle is nice to have. I just wish the cheek risers come all the way to the front of the piece instead of only 3/4 or 7/8 of the way on the two taller ones. Depending on one's eye relief it can be different to get use to.

The biggest difference it the blade is more of a set trigger so once you bring it back to the face of the actual trigger it doesn't take much at all for it to go off. My other trigger in my .270 is lighter than I use to have it, feels like 3 lbs instead of 4.5-5 lbs and it breaks clean too. I am just not use to that trigger like my brother is since his 7mm Rem Mag has one, so I was not squeezing it properly almost pressing the blade it then letting it out and back in again. He was watching me and that is why my groups would string wide instead of consistent like when he was behind the gun. I plan on doing some dry fire practice.

I didn't get to really experience the recoil with the shots that were fired since they were out of a lead sled. Sorry. I do know that the muzzle break and 1 inch limbsaver butt pad that my brother put on his 7mm Rem Mag makes the felt recoil more like a .243. I will try mine once I get more ammo after our trip to Idaho from Oct.6th-20th.

The Sako would be sweet that is for sure, but I am with you that is too pricey for my wallet. I would be more in Sako's cousin's range aka Tikka T3x. I just wish the SS barrel version wasn't $150 more than the blued. As mentioned the Tikka is the one that I have been looking at for the longest time.

I just talked to the guy who was going to sell me that Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 with rings for $500 and he used it and the gun it was on in a trade for sweet target Ruger 10/22. He asked me if I was upset and I said no it was his to do what he wanted with, sadly I didn't have the $500 and it would have taken me too long to save that cash for him. So now that is off my plate, I am just going to stick with the Redfield Revenge Hunter 4-12x42 that has a return to zero dial on it that my brother put on it for now so I can save the $$$ to get my own scope. I was shooting at 450 yards with my Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 so that 12 power scope will work wonderfully for me until I can upgrade if I do. Shooting that distance with a 12 power scope gave me a better perspective and knowledge that I don't need a higher zoom power. So a VX-3i in 4.5-14x50 in 30mm or that Nikon Black FX1000 in 4-16x50 you recommended or a similar sized Vortex, etc...

A small pic rail with a longer bipod that can detach depending on what kind of hunt and where that I will be on. Ouch those dang cactus. That is one sweet pronghorn buck that you got there sir. I am hopeful that next fall I will be able to go with my Uncle, two cousins and hopefully my Dad and maybe two bros will go pronghorn hunting in Wyoming. Probably take both rifles. By then I will have some trekking poles, but mostly for if I go elk or mule deer hunting too.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new family member! Lol

If you get up towards central PA, bring it, your brother, & the Rem Mag and we'll see what the heck is going on!
Just shoot me a PM & i'll make the time!
Thank you, he kind of has given up on it at least for this fall. Sadly we don't have a chrono and after trying reloading different bullets from 150 gr Barnes TTSX, Hornady A-Maxes, Sierra Game Kings, 168 grain Berger VLDs (which had the best group at 3/4", but then the next group was 1.5-2 I can't remember exactly. The two powders he tried was Reloader 22 and IMR 4350 (that we use in our 270s, my Dad's 243 and 300 WM). He tried Hornady ELD-x 162s and they did well except the last one. He on a whim bought Winchester Super-X 175 grainers thinking his rifle likes heavy pills. It shot good groups at 100, even 3 touching. So he tried to push it out there to 450 yards and use the muzzle velocity off the box and with his Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 laying prone on his pack like he would out west, he used a ballistic calculator that told him 8.2 MOA, but it ended up being 11 MOA on his scope where he hitting into the target and getting a good group. The next day he pushed it to 500 and according to the chart it said 12.2 MOA and he was high left, then he moved it to 11.5 and hit vertically where he wanted just left. There was no wind either.
He did the same thing with his .270 that he has had for 16 years and slaying WV whitetail and those 130 gr Sierra Gamekings with 53 grains of IMR 4350. But it actually followed the chart well using 2900 fps and he hit well out to 500 yards.
I asked someone else that loves to reload and told him that the gun likes heavier bullets and the gentleman adviced Nosler 168 grain Long Range Accubonds with 61 grains of Retumbo. I may try that later, but those bullets are $63 so I don't know if I will go ahead and pay for that and the $32 for the Retumbo since it isn't my rifle. He said I can try anything as long as I clean it and put it back.
Just kind of a bummer after he spent a few hundred dollars on a nice muzzle break, have the action pillar and glass bedded and even a 1" Limbsaver butt pad on it, to save on recoil and hopefully improve accuracy. Especially when one is trying to develop a load for a magnum cartridge and taking many shots throughout the day. Given time for the barrel to cool as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, using advertised velocity on a box of ammo is a hard pill to swallow.

Like i said, if/when you guys can get up here, we'll see what we can do.
I have a 100 yards gamelands range about 12 miles from me.
A 430 yard private range about 8 miles.
And a 1,000 yard range within 25 miles.
Unless you want to head to the state forest & try 1,500+ on the gas lines.

You might want to look at Sightron scopes.
For $200 they have an SIH 4-12X40 with MOA reticle. Fairly light, and they take the recoil.
I have EGW 20 MOA one piece solid bases on my Savages. Work well, solid. They are kinda tall, so even with a 50mm objective you can use low rings.

Yeah, using advertised velocity on a box of ammo is a hard pill to swallow.

Like i said, if/when you guys can get up here, we'll see what we can do.
I have a 100 yards gamelands range about 12 miles from me.
A 430 yard private range about 8 miles.
And a 1,000 yard range within 25 miles.
Unless you want to head to the state forest & try 1,500+ on the gas lines.

You might want to look at Sightron scopes.
For $200 they have an SIH 4-12X40 with MOA reticle. Fairly light, and they take the recoil.
I have EGW 20 MOA one piece solid bases on my Savages. Work well, solid. They are kinda tall, so even with a 50mm objective you can use low rings.
Very true ... we really need a chrono. Using reverse math it seemed that the fps was off close to 300 fps from the box. Anyway I agree hard to tell without having your own eye on it. I wouldn't mind coming out that is for sure. Up to him to see what he wants to do, but he lives in VA near the coast since he is currently in the Army.

I have heard some good things about that brand, would like to get my hands on one and give them a look. For now that Redfield Revenge Hunter 4-12x40 that my brother is letting me use will work. I may get that for my 17 HMR that I have on layaway.
The Blackhawk one that I have (made in the USA) allowed me to use medium rings and when I have a 50 bell on it there was a little bit of space enough for a short stack of paper as one can see in the pics I shared.
Thanks again.

A word about bipods. The hunting bipod attaches to the swivel stud and the bipod has its own sling swivel stud. You don't need a pic rail. The shooters ridge that I have has two thumb screws about the size of a penny. One for adjusting the swivel pressure (shooting on slopes) and the other to attach-detach the bipod. A hunting bi-pod will need to extend out 26-29 inches. I sight in the scope with a bench rest then attach the bipod and practice hunting positions. A hunting bipod is something to not go cheap with. Shooter's Ridge, Caldwell, Harris all good.

I concur with higher powers on scopes. Most of the time I use 9-12 power max. The higher the power, the harder it is to keep steady. Also it takes longer to acquire the target with a smaller field of view. I like having the ability to dial up but too tall turrets can get in the way while hunting. I also want the turrets to reset to zero without using a tool. A neoprene scope cover is the ticket. I do use a flip up cover on the bell to keep debris out and act as a sunshade. My two cents for what it's worth. 😎

A word about bipods. The hunting bipod attaches to the swivel stud and the bipod has its own sling swivel stud. You don't need a pic rail. The shooters ridge that I have has two thumb screws about the size of a penny. One for adjusting the swivel pressure (shooting on slopes) and the other to attach-detach the bipod. A hunting bi-pod will need to extend out 26-29 inches. I sight in the scope with a bench rest then attach the bipod and practice hunting positions. A hunting bipod is something to not go cheap with. Shooter's Ridge, Caldwell, Harris all good.

I concur with higher powers on scopes. Most of the time I use 9-12 power max. The higher the power, the harder it is to keep steady. Also it takes longer to acquire the target with a smaller field of view. I like having the ability to dial up but too tall turrets can get in the way while hunting. I also want the turrets to reset to zero without using a tool. A neoprene scope cover is the ticket. I do use a flip up cover on the bell to keep debris out and act as a sunshade. My two cents for what it's worth. 😎
Thanks for the quick FYI on bipods. I only mentioned a pic rail to make it easier to detach and reattach, but that would depend on the bipod itself and how that works. I knew that I wanted a bipod for my rifle and was curious how to carry one that was on a rifle that only had one swivel stud on the foregrip, like mine does since it is not a "Tactical" style rifle. I talked to a guy that I use to work with a Cabela's (even though I was on the fishing side and he is behind the firearms counter) and he showed me that most have an attachment point for a sling. Thanks for the size info as well, I was leaning towards a longer one for sitting and shooting since if I were to go prone I would use my pack as a rest. Oh and one that tilts and swivels, as you know the terrain out there makes for all kind of odd angles. I have looked at some Harris and Caldwell, but not Shooter's Ridge I will have to find them and check them out too.

Yeah after finally getting some limited trigger time behind a 12 max power scope shooting 450 yards I don't feel the need for an 18-25 power scope. Something with a max from 12-16 would be fine and reduce weight on an already 8.4 lb rifle, still wouldn't mind a 30mm tube and no more than 50 mm objective, but even a low 40 is fine. I don't plan on shooting at an animal past 500 yards, heck preferably under 400 if not under 300 if possible. I am not that experienced a shooter to feel comfortable with long range shots, but I now have a caliber and rifle platform that can even if it is just at steel or paper.

The advantages of having a 50 on a 30mm tube with HD glass are huge. The light gathering and clarity, field of view is literally like night and day, no pun intended. Weight is not as much of a factor as it once was. Personally, I won't go back to a 40. There are some nice 42s and 44s on the higher end brands though. But then scopes are like boots, different sizes for different folks. JOMHO! 😃

The advantages of having a 50 on a 30mm tube with HD glass are huge. The light gathering and clarity, field of view is literally like night and day, no pun intended. Weight is not as much of a factor as it once was. Personally, I won't go back to a 40. There are some nice 42s and 44s on the higher end brands though. But then scopes are like boots, different sizes for different folks. JOMHO! 😃
No doubt about that. I have no experience with that size of scope, but that is what I am looking for to MAXIMIZE the potential of my caliber and rifle platform. Nice pun by the way. I know it will fit since the Bushnell that was on it before my brother took it off was a 50mm objective, but not HD glass. I agree scopes, calibers of rifles, vehicles, etc... are like boots different sizes for different folks.

Soooo you gave up on the thought of having another left handed rifle and got this beauty instead or did I misunderstand that statement. Just curious but either way it looks like a sound purchase and I’m sure you be as proud of it as your 270 very shortly. Congrats.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back