Finally, a Mt Biilly Goat tag (need advice please)

MTDOGGER

First off id like to say hello to everyone and yes i am the new guy, since i have found this site i have been glued to it and have found that there are alot of hunters that share information and provide lots of positive feedback, which is not always the case on some forums, and is why ill probably be here for along time. Anyway with that being said I found out that i drew a goat tag in 323 here in my home state of Montana, the only problem is that i have spent very little time in that unit. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on where a guy would stand a chance at a goat, im not asking for anyones honey hole or anything, just a starting point for that area. I just started a new job at the refinery here in Billings and we will be starting a turn around from the 20th of Aug to the 24 of October and thats working everyday. So my time will be limited. Would the end of October be to late due to the snow and getting in the area or would I be okay? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Congratulations and Good luck.

Pray that we don't get an early winter. That is some steep rugged country that can get a lot of snow early in the season, making it hard to get to the goats. They will have great hair by then.

Get a good one.

Could be damn tough that late. Hope you have some scouting time this summer.
Pick a trailhead and hike to the top, you'll find goats out of every major access point in that unit. Good luck.

Back in the late 90's, a friend of mine drew a tag in 323. I hiked in during the summer, scouting with him a couple of times. We drove back behind Chico as far as we could go and then hiked in from there. We scouted a couple of routes back to Mount Wallace and decided that is where he would hunt that fall. We waited and finally headed back to Mount Wallace in the beginning of October to find and kill his goat, due to the weather forecast calling for heavy snow. He shot a great billy on a finger ridge on the westside of the mountain and we packed it out the next day. It was already snowing up high and it made for some treacherous footing getting him out. We were both glad he hadn't waited any longer than he did.

Scout as much as you can, hunt with a partner, keep an eye on the weather or you'll be eating your tag, be in great shape, and don't shoot a goat in an area where you won't be able to recover him.

Good luck and look forward to reading your story and seeing the pics.

I just went and kicked a bunny.

LMAO..........I'm looking for one to kick:)

Did everyone who applied for a goat tag get one this year except me?? Jeezuz, seems like they just handed them out like candy this year.

Follow Drakes advise, go hit any trailhead, go to the top and you will find goats...........

Add some adventure and go solo.:D

And better yet, wait till they close one of the main access points at the very bottom so you have to ride your bike an extra 5 or 6 miles just to get to where you would normally start hiking from;)

Hats off to you for that one Miller........

And better yet, wait till they close one of the main access points at the very bottom so you have to ride your bike an extra 5 or 6 miles just to get to where you would normally start hiking from;)

The last 5 or 6 back was downhill, so no biggy.:D Not my smartest move, but a great memory. Hope I am lucky enough to be a dumbass again. All these goat hunters are making me jealous. Good luck to all and they better share the experience.:) Take it all in fellas, might not have another shot.

Unit 329 Goat Tag

Add another goat tag to the forum. I drew unit 329 hell roaring/slough creek montana tag. Was looking for some advice on this area. I have horses and mules and was looking at setting up camp by hummingbird and lookout mountain. Any thoughts.

Back