Fin explains his Grouse Slooshing - Guest on another podcast

I'll pop a shot at a cripple on the water, but I've seen too many ducks end up in that crippled state by those waiting for them to land on the water at one of the public marshlands back in KS. Birds on land I have no qualms about shooting on the ground or a stump, if I'm not hunting with a dog.

My Ground shooting is limited to single projectiles, either bullet or arrow.

I DO have my standards you know....

VNRWP6ggZLif7tpedGAImRXmkTmGe2vwb17Cllf9FHP0QWmJgQjZygs0Z6lRfaeoUjfhXv9gwBtkWq8rJa_PZX_jibIgn4K8QqiVgZ3sjTZ5wDjyl9xgZco

Back wind is a great tip for thick cover. I guess I considered how to work the cover with not enough focus on wind direction being maintained. The topography changes also play games with the wind direction. I think I just hunt some very difficult cover. I see less than a hand full of dog hunters the entire fall. They must be smarter than me and hunt south and east by 30 miles for better conditions.
If the cover is really thick you often won't find point dog guys unless they let the dog flash point or flush on command. It is one of the nice things about using a flusher I don't have to crawl in there to kick the bird up. If the cover is really thick I just stand on the two track and let the dog flush them out.

My Ground shooting is limited to single projectiles, either bullet or arrow.

I DO have my standards you know....

VNRWP6ggZLif7tpedGAImRXmkTmGe2vwb17Cllf9FHP0QWmJgQjZygs0Z6lRfaeoUjfhXv9gwBtkWq8rJa_PZX_jibIgn4K8QqiVgZ3sjTZ5wDjyl9xgZco
It's not about being snobby lol. Many of use just consider it fair chase to give the bird a better chance on wing. I have passed up birds that would not fly. Often the grouse here in MI eat mushrooms. I have had birds walk right up to me. Not going to shoot a bird that's tripping on mushrooms.

Some of the best bird hunting I've ever had was with a friend whose "pointer" more often than not caught quail before we were even in range. No ammo expenditures and a nice quail dinner.

Boy I need a dog like that since mine is usually out of range most of the time anyways.... my best chance is she is far enough that the birds dont know im there when they flush and fly my way for pass shots.

I was proud to shoot a Eurasian Collared Dove off a branch last night, and have our Black Lab retrieve his first "game bird". Weapon of Choice? Gamo air rifle. Aimed for a head shot , was more of a neck shot. No meat harmed. Just need about 5 more for a meal for 2...

My brother says you're cleaning out the gene pool dusting the inferior genetics out of the herd that stare at you on the ground or look down at you from a tree. And yes I'm a filson hat wearing pointer owner. Best meat dog I've ever had was an english setter that would leave for a walk about if you missed to many birds in a row. You're doing the grouse population on the whole a service by eradicating birds with genes that aren't as wild or as wary as they should be for survival of the species as a whole by stump swattin' 'em, ground grillin' 'em, Iron-pan-ranging 'em, timber tippin' 'em, given 'em the old Taconite tap or grandpa Grandy Rapids, etc.

Shooting grouse on the wing...

Just as unsporting as shooting them on the ground or from a tree. The only sporting way is bird-on-bird violence via falcon. 🤪

(tongue in cheek, or whatever)

Those uptight C&R guys need to watch “ A River Runs Through It “ again. Even hollyweirdos like Brad Pitt keep the fish they catch. 😂

MT FWP has outright said that many rivers and lakes are overpopulated with average fish size steadily decreasing due to C&R. A river or lake can only support so much biomass - the more small fish there are taking up space the less space and food there is to encourage faster growth rates.

MT FWP has outright said that many rivers and lakes are overpopulated with average fish size steadily decreasing due to C&R. A river or lake can only support so much biomass - the more small fish there are taking up space the less space and food there is to encourage faster growth rates.
I totally get that. Try running it by those c and r fishermen. 😂

I caught some goldens last weekend that were kinda thin, and I'm seriously considering eating a few next time to help thin the population.

I caught some goldens last weekend that were kinda thin, and I'm seriously considering eating a few next time to help thin the population.

If its the broodstock lake in the Beartooths, FWP specifically calls that one out as needing some harvest in their mountain lake report. Alpine lake goldens are probably the best tasting trout around.

If its the broodstock lake in the Beartooths, FWP specifically calls that one out as needing some harvest in their mountain lake report. Alpine lake goldens are probably the best tasting trout around.

Well, I'm sold. I'll be scheduling my return trip soon.

I know. I am C&R on native cutthroat and can understand others feeling the same - they have enough hurdles to overcome. Rainbows and browns, rainbows especially, are fair, and tasty, game!
Yep here in the east we have a Native Brook Trout that is kinda the same situation as your Native Cutthroat and I kept the first one I ever caught but since then I haven’t kept any.

I used to carry a pump pellet pistol while rifle hunting just for grouse. Now I've switched to a Ruger Mkii pistol with Aguila Colibri ammo. It's actually quieter. It won't cycle the action so there is no bolt clack either. No forms, papers, or suppressor hassles. Absolute magic for grouse sluicing. No shot pellets in the breasts.

Could your set up be heard outside of, say, a backyard block wall within city limits? Asking for a friend.

Back