Fin explains his Grouse Slooshing - Guest on another podcast

JeffJ

I'll pop a shot at a cripple on the water, but I've seen too many ducks end up in that crippled state by those waiting for them to land on the water at one of the public marshlands back in KS. Birds on land I have no qualms about shooting on the ground or a stump, if I'm not hunting with a dog.

2rocky

My Ground shooting is limited to single projectiles, either bullet or arrow.

I DO have my standards you know....

LoveBirdDogs

Back wind is a great tip for thick cover. I guess I considered how to work the cover with not enough focus on wind direction being maintained. The topography changes also play games with the wind direction. I think I just hunt some very difficult cover. I see less than a hand full of dog hunters the entire fall. They must be smarter than me and hunt south and east by 30 miles for better conditions.
If the cover is really thick you often won't find point dog guys unless they let the dog flash point or flush on command. It is one of the nice things about using a flusher I don't have to crawl in there to kick the bird up. If the cover is really thick I just stand on the two track and let the dog flush them out.

LoveBirdDogs

My Ground shooting is limited to single projectiles, either bullet or arrow.

I DO have my standards you know....

It's not about being snobby lol. Many of use just consider it fair chase to give the bird a better chance on wing. I have passed up birds that would not fly. Often the grouse here in MI eat mushrooms. I have had birds walk right up to me. Not going to shoot a bird that's tripping on mushrooms.

thusby

A lot of us hunt in country that is so thick you can't see 75% of the flushes. 15% of flushes you can't swing your gun barrel because the trees are so tight. The remaining 10% are the ones I shoot on the ground.

rwc101

Some of the best bird hunting I've ever had was with a friend whose "pointer" more often than not caught quail before we were even in range. No ammo expenditures and a nice quail dinner.