Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

FILM act

I have seen Jason filming and recording audio at Slippery Ann and later noticed it as commercial content. I assume he had a permit.

I know it was him since he had his name on his license plate...I got a chuckle.
“ZINGER”

I doubt any of the people making shed hunting videos are getting film permits. They would be doing an amazing job of anticipating where they are going and where animals are going to winter when they need to be working on getting permits submitted

Wild Sheep will never get one penny from me if this is their stance.

Influencers and hunting show hosts filming content then whoring it around have done more to screw over my hunting spots in 10 yrs than all the other issues we face have in 30 yrs.

ZERO commercial filming on public would be just fine with me. The argument about LEOs being too busy is typical apathetic bullshit. How friggin hard is it for someone to make a call when they see the video, and the poor overworked LEO to watch it on the clock, on his govt computer, instead of playing on the internet?

Last edited:
And I would bet that 100% of the ones that are poachers are also filming with out a permit.
There's nothing more interesting to hang on the wall above the fireplace up at the Yellowstone Club than a trophy accompanied by an interesting video of the monster feeding in natural habitat prior to the kill. It's a view-worthy video trophy to show in the home theatre in the basement just next to the wine cellar. Priceless! But purchased anyhow.

If someone is making money off of a public natural resource I think they absolutely should have to pay for a permit and it shouldn't be granted to more people than the wildlife population and habitat can sustain. What happens on private land is a totally different ball game and landowners can do as they please there as far as I am concerned. I enjoy watching some of the content produced by these folks and I am not against people filming but most business owners have startup and operational costs to do business and I don't see why hunting influencers monetizing the public's land and wildlife should be any different. If it cost ranchers to graze their cattle on BLM, or you have to pay to aquire timber, or mining rights to run those operations then it should be the same for fish and wildlife.

Wild Sheep will never get one penny from me if this is their stance.

Influencers and hunting show hosts filming content then whoring it around have done more to screw over my hunting spots in 10 yrs than all the other issues we face have in 30 yrs.

ZERO commercial filming on public would be just fine with me. The argument about LEOs being too busy is typical apathetic bullshit. How friggin hard is it for someone to make a call when they see the video, and the poor overworked LEO to watch it on the clock, on his govt computer, instead of playing on the internet?
They lost my membership renewal when Gray Thornton defended the obviously sub legal ram that Craig Boddington's wife shot.

If someone is making money off of a public natural resource I think they absolutely should have to pay for a permit and it shouldn't be granted to more people than the wildlife population and habitat can sustain. What happens on private land is a totally different ball game and landowners can do as they please there as far as I am concerned. I enjoy watching some of the content produced by these folks and I am not against people filming but most business owners have startup and operational costs to do business and I don't see why hunting influencers monetizing the public's land and wildlife should be any different. If it cost ranchers to graze their cattle on BLM, or you have to pay to aquire timber, or mining rights to run those operations then it should be the same for fish and wildlife.

I’m fine with commercial filming requiring a license. That license cost should be commiserate with the extraction and compensation for impact to the resource.

It costs $1.85 to graze a pair of cattle for a month on BLM property. It would cost over $3500-$5000 to carry a camera and film a hunt for a month on the same property.

Doesn’t seem to be a formula that encourages compliance among the folks carrying a camera.

I’m fine with commercial filming requiring a license. That license cost should be commiserate with the extraction and compensation for impact to the resource.

It costs $1.85 to graze a pair of cattle for a month on BLM property. It would cost over $3500-$5000 to carry a camera and film a hunt for a month on the same property.

Doesn’t seem to be a formula that encourages compliance among the folks carrying a camera.
You are exaggerating numbers. ;) :D

If a lot of these film makers got priced out and had to get normal jobs I wouldn't see that as a terrible thing. I know you do some filming and I've enjoyed the ones of yours that I've watched. I think most of us can agree the film market has been sort of saturated with a lot of folks who aren't doing us a favor by representing hunters. If they got priced out I wouldn't cry.

Last edited:
Include language in the regs to require permit numbers to be included in film credits on all content created after a certain date.
No fines, require Vimeo and YT to de-monetize non-compliant content.
De-monetization wouldn't be quite as useful as you'd hope. There's a lot of youtubers out there that are out filming on public land mag dumping into fruit etc. that are already de-monitized, they rely on sponsorships/patreon/etc. There's lots of filming out on public land from content creators outside of the hunting realm (guntubers, hiking gear schleppers, motorbikers, the list goes on). You very rarely hear them state where they are filming, doubt they would be truthful if that info was requested in order to hit their pocketbooks.

You are exaggerating numbers. ;) :D
When I last checked into pricing film permits it was $100-$150 per day. That was about ten years ago. Have prices changed since?

If memory serves me correctly, the couple of times I filmed with Randy permits for the week were over $1000. Plus, there was a requirement for him to carry liability insurance while filming. That cost alone was more than a grand per year.

This was USFS. What is BLM’s fee structure?

When I last checked into pricing film permits it was $100-$150 per day. That was about ten years ago. Have prices changed since?

If memory serves me correctly, the couple of times I filmed with Randy permits for the week were over $1000. Plus, there was a requirement for him to carry liability insurance while filming. That cost alone was more than a grand per year.

This was USFS. What is BLM’s fee structure?
Just having some fun. The grazing fee is $1.35/AUM. :D :D :D :D

So, if the cost to administer and issue the permits costs more than the permits why shouldn’t the solution be to increase the cost of them? maybe I’m just bad at economics

IIRC, the TV show Wardens (Montana), got a ticket from the USFS for not having a film permit. I’m not sure if they gave FWP a ticket too, but that would be hilarious.

So, if the cost to administer and issue the permits costs more than the permits why shouldn’t the solution be to increase the cost of them? maybe I’m just bad at economics

If every single hunting license had to be custom issued and priced according to anticipated dates hunted with specific locations designated and liability insurance, I’m guessing the required hiring of personnel would drive the cost of hunting licenses sky high and would severely affect overall profitability of hunting licenses.

If every single hunting license had to be custom issued and priced according to anticipated dates hunted with specific locations designated and liability insurance, I’m guessing the required hiring of personnel would drive the cost of hunting licenses sky high and would severely affect overall profitability of hunting licenses.
I guess people can make the choice not to be a professional hunter/filmer if the economics of it just don’t work out. Nothing will ever make me feel bad for the influencer crowd, I’m firmly in the camp of wanting significantly less of them

I guess people can make the choice not to be a professional hunter/filmer if the economics of it just don’t work out. Nothing will ever make me feel bad for the influencer crowd, I’m firmly in the camp of wanting significantly less of them
I care a lot less about their hardships incurred on the road to obtaining permission to film and a lot more about the guys who work blue collar jobs the rest of the year having a place to get out and hunt that isn't being publicized beyond capacity. I can think of zero situations that would be made worse by having less cameras in the woods.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back