Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Filling the freezer

Sawtooth

It usually takes us the whole season to get both my friend's family and my freezer full of elk meat. This year it took four days. On the second day of the season, I shot this 6x6 at first light, 112 yards from my tent.:D Now granted camp was three and a half miles from the nearest road, but this was definately a Gift Bull. 2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 001 (3).jpg

2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 005 (2).jpg

While I packed my elk down the mountain, my good friend shot this nice 5x5 on day three. His son is pictured with the bull.
Bills 2012 bull.jpg

On the forth day of our hunt, my friend's son made an impressive 330 yard shot on a 5x5 bull of his own. Pictured here in our game cart, which we were able to use for the last mile and a half on an old logging road.
2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 011.jpg

Between the elk and the salmon and halibut I caught this summer in Canada my freezer is full. If my son fills his late season cow tag this year, the in-laws freezer my even get filled. ;)

JWhunter, these guys came from a controlled hunt. As far as good eats, I had to laugh when my 13 year old daughter couldn't even wait until we finished butchering my bull. After an hour of grinding burger she asked me for a couple of steaks and when I handed them to her she took them right out to the grill. In the last week we have had a fantastic roast and those steaks.

Wow! That is a solid trip! Grats to everyone! That looks like an interesting game cart. Some heafty weight in her. Lot of packing there!

Grats!

That is what it is all about right there. What a great bunch of bulls AND meat in the freezer next to all that prime fish. I really like that you acknowledge receiving a "gift bull." Too many hunters fail to acknowledge such "gifts" in the field. GREAT post.

-Cody

A freezer full of good stuff, way to go. Congrats. I gotta admit that cart's got me thinkin' now....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind posts. That cart can definitely be a life saver on closed roads and gradual elevation changes. It can pack out up to one and a quarter elk (boned) if the road is gradual. The 20" bike tire we used looked like it was completely flat until we unloaded it and we realized it was just overloaded. Having the weight evenly distributed over the wheel with handles on both ends is the way to go. Next we need to add a bike breaking system for the steeper section of the road. A couple of times the person on the front almost ended up going for a bit of a ride. NMelktrout, as far as I am concerned, every elk I have shot has been a "gift elk".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back