Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Field & Stream

Yeah, I wish I would've saved them instead of the JC Penney lingerie catalogs....oh well, hindsight something something.
Bet there are a ton of members here that don't know anything about single cab pickups. Or towing four horse trailers up and down icy mountain roads. Or packing elk without a Mystery Ranch or equivalent. Crappy orange sweatshirts from Sportsman's Surplus in Missoula. (Montana thing) I miss the old days. mtmuley

Bet there are a ton of members here that don't know anything about single cab pickups. Or towing four horse trailers up and down icy mountain roads. Or packing elk without a Mystery Ranch or equivalent. Crappy orange sweatshirts from Sportsman's Surplus in Missoula. (Montana thing) I miss the old days. mtmuley
Try finding a new single cab pickup.

Some of my most vivid childhood memories involve riding in my uncles single cab Ford that only had AM radio going to and from hunting trips almost every weekend. We’d be rolling down the road in 4th gear, the 410 rear end whining, listening to WBAP 820. Him pushing in the cigarette lighter to fire up another Marlboro Light with the window cracked just enough. I miss those days as well. Good memories.

Anybody remember how Outdoor Life used to have the articles about how to build your own stuff? I remember one about a shooting bench, but the one I drooled over for long time was a small hunting cabin. I fell asleep many nights dreaming about having my own hunting cabin one day.

Some of my most vivid childhood memories involve riding in my uncles single cab Ford that only had AM radio going to and from hunting trips almost every weekend. We’d be rolling down the road in 4th gear, the 410 rear end whining, listening to WBAP 820. Him pushing in the cigarette lighter to fire up another Marlboro Light with the window cracked just enough. I miss those days as well. Good memories.
Yep. Bias ply tires that thumped till they warmed up. My father was frugal. AM only radio, one dash speaker. Country music. We killed elk. mtmuley

Yep. Bias ply tires that thumped till they warmed up. My father was frugal. AM only radio, one dash speaker. Country music. We killed elk. mtmuley
Buckshot mud tires on our hunting rigs down south. My dad only ran them during hunting season. I remember how loud they hummed driving down the road and how much me and my brother loved it.

I had many milk crates full of F&S as a kid. I eventually got tired of their product placement and articles about $4,000 rifles so I cancelled. I do miss the well written hunt stories that made an appearance a few times a year.

Are you sure you don’t mean “Sports Afield”? I think they moved more upscale and started to cater to the higher end guns and hunts. It is a nice alternative to all the polymer guns and AR platforms that fill the pages of the rest of the outdoor magazines.

Before trucks had V-8 engines this is what most trailers were pulled with...

395BAB2E-E116-4FDE-A911-FFBBC3C60593.jpeg

Lonnie Bell's Classic Country on am790 here in the Yellowstone Valley, but in an old Jeep Wagoneer. Complete w/ fake wood-grain paneling ;)

I grew up with parents who weren’t outdoorsman in the hunting/fishing sense. Grandpa and a neighbor kept me in stock of back issues of Outdoor Life, Field &Stream, in-fisherman, American Rifleman, and a few others. I subscribed to both OL and F&S for many years in high school before I had access to the internet. Let most of them drop. Now I get a few too many magazines but they don’t seem to have the same charm as a boy reading about Patrick McManus’ adventures. I sure do like Petzal in today’s F&S but really only read his online stuff. Seem like they have scaled him back.

I always wanted one of the squirrel monkeys that were advertised in the classifieds. My parents would never let me have one. An ocelot was also out of the question.

You might guess that I'd be on the list but you'd be wrong. My fishing mentor would call our house at 7 am on Saturday mornings and ask if I wanted to go fishing. Mom knew enough to always say yes. I'd be up and dressed before she'd hung up. Then he pick me up 15 minutes later in his '56 2x4 GMC single cab pickup with a cracked bench seat and we'd cruise down the highway listening to the hum of the highway, till we reached some steelhead run, him smoking GPCs with the window cracked the entire way. Then he proceed to teach me how to swing flies, or drift eggs, or pitch spinners, how to mend line, tie a blood knot, and detangle a birds nest. I realize now looking back I'd caught more chrome by 14 than most adults ever will.
Sorry tangent, single cab pickups... good times...

I picked up a Field and Stream in DFW airport back in September. It had a good article about coastal bear hunting here in NC by T. Edward Nickens that I enjoyed.
A consistently good read is Bill Heavey’s humor column on the last page.

My grandpa always had a big stack of field and stream, outdoor life, and guns & ammo in his office. I always enjoyed sitting in there with him and listening to his stories while flipping through the pages. I was always intrigued by his stories of when he lived in Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota. They were always the most exciting ones to hear as a kid.

A lot of my childhood was spent riding around in a 1985 single cab f150 listening to static filled AM radio and going to various spots to hunt. Those were definitely some of the most memory filled parts of my life and I really wish I could relive them again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back